One

September 27, 2005

Age: 9

"You can't get me!" I giggle running a bit faster. 

"Lucas! Wait!" I hear Jocelynn call from behind. I shake my head and keep on running and suddenly hear a thump behind me.

"Ow!" 

I stop running and look back at Jocelynn who is lying there on the ground, completely still. My eyes widened.

"Jocelynn!" I said rushing by her side. I check her body for any marks and find nothing. I put my ear against her chest, checking for a heartbeat.

Ba-Bump...Ba-Bump...Ba-Bump

That's weird...

"Boo!" I jump back a few feet away from her. I look up and see her laughing her butt off. Wait...was that a trick? I put my hand over my heart. It's beating really fast!

"Joce," I paused,"You scared me!" I said crawling towards her. She opens her eyes and looks at me, then starts laughing again. She touches my leg and starts running.

"You're it!"  

I hope she knows I'm way faster than her. I get onto my feet and started sprinting right after her. I was now right behind her, feeling like Flash. I hold out my hand to her, trying to reach her back. 

"You're it!" I said as my hand touched her shoulder instead. I turned around and started running the other away again. Running is fun!

"That's not fair! Get back here," wined Jocelynn. I giggled and hid under the slide. I watch her tiny figure move slowly through the hyper kids. 

"Luuucas?" she called out. 

"Jooocelynn," I called back. Her blue eyes met mine immediately, which made her smile. She starts to laugh once again and headed her way towards me until one of the big kids knocked her right down onto the tanbark. It did look like she took a hard hit. I gasp as I watch her hit the floor. 

I shout her name as come right to her side.

"Lucas," she cries with tears streaming down her face. I put my hands behind her head and turn her face towards me. My eyes widened at the red gush on her lip. Oh no, there is blood. Oh no. Oh no.

"It hurts, Lu," Jocelynn cries again. 

"Matthew! Matthew!" I yell for her dad."Matthew!" I turn around and see her dad quickly making his way over to us.

"What's wrong Lu-oh my gosh," he said taking Jocelynn into his arms. He takes a tissue out of his pocket and dabs it on her lip."What happened?"