The Dark Forest

My Pov

It was the end of winter break and all of the students were returning. Me, Harry and Ron were currently studying when Hermione came walking up to the table with a large book.

"I had you looking in the wrong section. How could I be so stupid?" she said, slamming the book on the table and creating a large 'BANG!'. I flinched, fearing Madam Pince would give us detention. "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading."

"This is light?" Ron asked, looking at the large book. Hermione shot him a glare before turning pages until she found the one she was looking for.

"Of course! Here it is!" she exclaimed. We looked to where she pointed and it read: The Sorcerer's Stone. "Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone."

"The what?" we asked. Hermione sighed in disappointment.

"Honestly, do you three read?" she asked.

"Of course we do Hermione. Just, not as much as you do." I said. She went back to reading.

"The Sorcerer's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It'll transform any metal into pure gold... and produce the Elixir of Life which will make the drinker immortal." Hermione read.

"Immortal?" Ron questioned.

"It means you'll never die." Hermione said.

"I know what it means!" Ron snapped. Harry shushed him and Hermione continued.

"The only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicholas Flamel... the noted alchemist who just last year celebrated his 665th birthday." Hermione finished.

"So that's what Fluffy must be guarding." I said.

"And it's what Snape's after." Harry added. Later that night, we four snuck out and went to Hagrid's cottage. Harry knocked on the door and Hagrid answered.

"Don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no state to entertain today." Hagrid said, closing the door.

"We know about the Sorcerer's Stone." we said. That caused Hagrid to stop and open the door again. We went inside and took off our cloaks. We tried to tell Hagrid that Snape was trying to take the Stone, but Hagrid wasn't hearing any of it. That's when a rattling came from the pot he had in his fireplace. Hagrid reached in and pulled out a large, round object. He sat it on the table as it started twitching.

"Wait a minute... isn't that a-" I started.

"Hagrid, how did you get one of these?" Ron asked.

"I won it. Off a stranger I met down at the pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it, as a matter of fact." Hagrid said. Just then the egg burst open, sending fragments of shell flying. We all looked to see a baby dragon, chirping away.

"That's a Norwegian Ridgeback, isn't it?"" I asked. Winona had two whole books about dragons and I had re-read both of them at least twice.

"Yeah. My brother Charlie works with these in Romania." Ron said. Hagrid was so happy about the little dragon and even named him Norbert. I was actually a little excited too. I had always seen dragons in picture books, but never thought I'd see a real one up close.

"Who's that?" Hagrid asked, looking toward the window. We all turned to see Malfoy run away. Oh no. We hurried back to the castle, hoping to get back to bed. Unfortunately, we were caught and we each had fifty points deducted from our house. On a good note, Malfoy got handed detention with us. About a week later, we were being marched out by Flich to Hagrid's cottage. He needed help with something in the Dark Forest. We followed Hagrid into the forest until he stopped at a puddle of silver liquid.

"Hagrid, what exactly is that?" Harry asked.

"It's unicorn blood. Found one dead a few weeks back and this one's been hurt bad by something. Our job is to find the poor creature." he said. I shuddered at the thought of finding a possibly dead unicorn. Ron and Hermione went with Hagrid while me and Harry were stuck with Malfoy and Hagrid's dog, Fang. We went one way and the others went another.

"Wait till my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff." Draco complained.

"Well, it's your fault. You were out of bed just to tattle on us and you got yourself in trouble." I said.

"If I didn't know better Draco, I'd say you were scared." Harry said.

"I'm not scared, Potter." Draco scoffed. I rubbed my arm, feeling cold, and my hand brushed against the bracelet and I heard something. Who am I kidding? I am scared. Who knows what's out here? I stopped and looked around.

"Holly, what's wrong?" Harry asked.

"I thought I heard... never mind. I think I'm just tired." I said. I swear I had heard Draco's voice just now. We continued walking until a heavy hit me. So heavy that it was suffocating. "W-Wait..." I gripped Harry's arm. He wrapped an arm around me.

"What is it?" he asked. Fang then started to growl. Not just a normal growl, but the one where a dog senses danger.

"S-Something's over there!" Draco exclaimed. We looked to see a horrifying sight. A cloaked figure was hunched on a unicorn, biting into its neck. That's when my scar started burning, as did Harry's. The figure looked up at us and hissed. Draco screamed and ran off, Fang following close behind. We both looked toward the figure as it started to slither toward us. Harry pushed me behind him and we tried to back away. We fell backwards and found ourselves trapped in a small space. I buried my face in Harry's robes, waiting for whatever came. That's when the sounds of hoofs came from above us. Something jumped from above and frightened the figure off. Harry helped me up and that's when I saw it was a centaur.

"Harry and Holly Potter, you must leave. You both are known to many creatures here. The Forest is not safe at this time. Especially for both of you." he said.

"What was that thing you saved us from?" Harry asked.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking its blood will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. For you have slain something so pure... that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life.

"Who would chose such a life?" I asked.

"Can neither of you think of no one?" the centaur asked.

"Do you mean to say that that thing that killed the unicorn... that was drinking its blood, that was Voldemort?" Harry asked.

"Do you both know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" the centaur asked.

"The Sorcerer's Stone." we said. We then heard Fang barking and saw the others had found us.

"Harry! Holly!" Hermione cried.

"Hello there, Firenze. See you've met our young Mr. and Ms. Potter." Hagrid said. Firenze bid us farewell and left. My eyes drifted to the dead unicorn and I felt an indescribable sadness.