Chapter 2 ~ Sleepless Nights and Day Dreaming Days

I woke up from the sound of my mom yelling at me to get up. It was the day we were flying to Greece and we needed to get to the airport three hours before our flight started, and I was kind of mad about that. Just the thought of sitting on a plane for eleven hours made me gag. It wasn't the first time I was flying but at that time, I felt sick. 

I got out of bed at the sight of my parents rushing to get the luggage into the car. I never understood why we had to go to the airport so early. Whenever we got to the airport that early, we would always sit and do nothing for two hours. But I guess my parents wanted to get there early just in case, and I didn't blame them. The last thing I want to happen is for my family and I to be late to one of our flights and us having to run around the airport like the first two Home Alone movies. 

I was pretty tired from the night before. I slept for a pretty long time but I had this dream that felt so real. The dream was... magical. Odd, but magical. It reminded me of a movie I had once watched, but I forget what it was called. There was this girl and she met a boy on the beach and then they fell in love. If only things like that were real.

I got out of bed and I saw how stressed my parents were. My parents have never acted so stressed for a flight before. They were actually panicking because we woke up an hour late. I still took my time though. They were getting mad at me, but I didn't care. I guess I wasn't really excited to go to Greece this year. Usually the night before our flight I wouldn't be able to sleep from all the excitment, but I slept like a baby.

I walked downstairs to where Noula, my sister, and George, my brother-in-law, were sitting at the kitchen table. They were fighting over the last piece of bread that was left.

"You know, you can always just go to the store and buy more," I said as they both looked at me.

"Ain't nobody got time for that!" Noula yelled. That was Noula's favorite thing to say. We had gotten so used to her saying it that we didn't even care anymore. My sister was always the funny one. And especially the pretty one. When she was in High School she won Prom Queen. She was always smiling. She was gorgeous even without makeup. She had thin, dirty-blond hair. I've always wanted to be just like my sister. Too bad that wouldn't have ever happened. Many people say that our personalities and the way we act are the same. I for one don't see it but she does. She thinks I am the funniest person ever. I could say the simplest thing and she would die laughing for thirty minutes straight! I never understood that. 

Noula was always very popular in school and even now. Even though it doesn't seem like she has any friends now, she still acts like she does. When she was sixteen, all the boys wanted her and all the girls wanted to be like her. Even now, that she's married to George, people still hit on her. She started dating when she was eighteen with this boy Chris that was bastard. I told her he wasn't right for her but she didn't listen to me and went ahead and wasted her life for four years. They eventually broke up because she had finally realized he was an ass. 

Now she's with George. The sweetest guy you could ever meet and funniest. Especially the baldest. Even if people didn't know George, they still loved him. George was just a likable person and I was so happy for them to get married. George is perfect to my sister and I can always count on him for help.

Even though my sister has gone through a lot, I still wanted to be like her. I wanted at least one boy to ask me out for once, I didn't care who. It felt like that would never happen though.

Afterwards, George won the battle and ate the whole slice of bread in 4 bites. Sometimes I wonder how Noula and George live because they act like complete children all the time. 

It was eventually time to say good-bye to Noula and George and so I hugged and kissed them both on the cheek. I wasn't going to see them for another two months so I hugged my sister a little longer than I was supposed to and a little tighter too. 

I got in the car, closed the door and we backed out of the driveway. George and Noula were at the front door waving at us. At that point I was depressed because I felt like I was making a mistake of going to Greece. Usually nothing ever happens when I go visit. Everything is just boring there. But it was too late to change my mind, so I just accepted the fact that I was going to be miserable for two months.