Chapter 1

We were standing in the kitchen, facing Ms. Bloomsbury as she was cleaning up after dinner. The other children had already fallen asleep, but the three of us had been called here. At my right stood the male with golden brown hair who had arrived a few months ago, Lucas, I believe he was called. He looked to be my age, and he had pretty green eyes. Ms. Bloomsbury kept the races of the children secret, but I believed he was a werewolf, as there was something dog-like about him. I looked to my left where Riven stood. A year older, abnormally tall and pale, with shoulder-length raven hair, always tied up in his neck. Riven had been there almost as long as I had. I remember when he came, all bloody and cut up. He had never spoken much, but I found there was something calming about his presence, even though most of the children were scared of him- probably because of his eyes, the red of a purebred vampire.
"You children are growing up." Ms. Bloomsbury started, and I realized what this meeting was for.
"I won't keep you here any longer. Feel free to go explore the world to find a place where you want to settle. I won't force you to leave now, but you will need to start earning your stay, as Riven has for the past two years." I remember being surprised when Riven didn't disappear two years ago, like most of the people before him. Maybe he was more attached to the village than anyone thought.
"If you decide to stay, start looking around the village for jobs. Riven might be able to help you with finding something suitable." Lucas was smiling widely at my right, Rivens face unreadable at my left. I had known since childhood I would stay when I got the choice, and maybe one day take over the orphanage when ms. Bloomsbury got too old, and I could call myself Eva Bloomsbury, the head mistress of Bloomsbury orphanage. I smiled at the thought.

*CrASh!*

A loud noise came from my right, I looked to the open door to see a hooded figure run past, and Luke screamed: "Fire!" Surely smelling smoke. Ms. Bloomsbury looked more panicked than I had ever seen her, as she rustled through a drawer, tossing me a small pouch before screaming: "RUN!" I was frozen in place, holding the pouch, but the males next to me sprung into action, Luke grabbing me by the wrist as we rushed out, the same direction as the cloaked figure. We started getting closer to the stairs out of the cellar, when I realized it was a bad idea. "Wait! The people might still be at the main door, the washing room has a window!" Luke stopped pulling, realizing I was right. Riven didn't stop to think if I was wrong, but simply heaved me into his arms. As if I was a feather. As if I couldn't walk on my own. The smoke got heavier as Riven pulled us towards the washing room, I started coughing heavily, my lungs filled with smoke. "Damned breathing." Riven mumbled as we entered the washing room and Riven finally put me down. I sat on the floor, heaving.
"*Cough*, bloodsucker, open the damned window!" Luke said, pointing at the dark window. My eyes were tearing, sweat running down my neck and my lungs were burning. Damned elven fragility. Lucas swore and punched the window and I found myself tossed over his shoulder. I wanted to swear at him, but decided against it. My stomach cramped against his shoulder as he flung us out of the smoke filled room, Riven just behind us. I and Lucas crashed into the grass, finally breathing properly, but Rivens face was still restless.
"Let's keep moving. I have a bad feeling." Riven said, reaching his hands towards us. "Same." Lucas agreed, grasping his hand. I got up on my own.
"You guys can go. I'll go help ms. Bloomsbury." Both of the males exchanged looks, then grabbed me, flinging me over Lucas' shoulder again. I was getting very tired of getting forcefully carried around. I grunted and screamed at the males as they quickly moved away from the orphanage. "I need to go help! What if someone's hurt?" I kicked Lucas in the back, but sadly werewolves were much sturdier than elves.
Riven took my face into his hands. "Eva. We're not letting you die for them." And I stopped struggling slightly, and cried.

*BOOM*

Luke turned around and I saw it as if in slow motion: the entire orphanage sacking together in a cloud of fire. My ears were ringing, Luke dropped me to the ground, but several strong hands quickly grabbed me, holding me back. I thrashed and fought, but I was weak. I couldn't even blame it on my heritage. My home, gone.