The Wind Whispered, Escape

Chapter:

I knew this was stupid, I'm only a teenager. I shouldn't be doing this. But, as the wind blew in my face as I ran, all I could feel was the tantalising essence of escape, of more. I ran and ran, until my legs felt like jelly.

I, eventually, ended up at the train station. This was it, I was actually going through with it. I already bought my ticket and it was about a 20 minute wait before the next train came. I had no clue where I was going, but at this point, any place but here would do.

I sat at the nearest bench and jogged my foot in the freezing cold, a bad habit I inherited from my father. I really should have brought a jacket with me. I wonder what my parents will do when they find that I'm not in my small bed sound asleep. Would they file a missing person report? Would they notice? Would they even care? Maybe I should go back. No!I got myself this far and I'm not going wimp out, like I usually do.

Goddamn, it was cold. I rolled my head back, to try and massage my cramped neck. I just stayed there, looking up at the night sky. The stars twinkling within the consuming black, it looked so peaceful. I swear at that very moment, nothing but me and the sky, I fell at peace. The whistle of the wind, and cracklings steps of feet.

A loud scream, more like a loud cry for help, snapped me out of my daze. All I could see were three figures outlined in the dim light. One of them held what seemed to be a girl by the arms. As, the largest of them raised his arm again, clenched into a fist, and- I couldn't dare to look because I knew what he was going to do. I clenched my eyes closed as another yelp escaped the girls lips.

I had to do something. And before I knew it, I stood on my feet and started jogging towards them.

"What do you think you're doing to her?!" I said, thanking that I didn't sound as scared as I was.

"This doesn't concern you, little girl," one of the men said, with a croaky rough voice. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't petrified.

"Hey, I'm not a little girl," I said louder trying to seem like I had the upper-hand, "Leave her alone, what you're doing is just wrong!"

"Leave. Please, just leave," the limp girl sobbed out, which just caused the larger man to punch the girl in the stomach again. "Shut it, you," the man gritted through his teeth, at the same time pushing me away causing me to fall.

Call me insane and idiotic, that's what I really was. Before sanity could even settle back in to me, I hastily lunged forward and tackled the man. Somehow I got the upper-hand and I was fully pushing my weight on him. I raised my fist but before I could connect it with his face, a hand gripped tightly on my wrist. It appeared that the other man had let go of the girl and was now tugging me off of the other guy. He lifted his arm, about to conflict the pain I was going to do to his friend. And, all I can I say is that it hurt, a lot. I could feel blood rush to my eye and it slowly swelling. My vision started to go blurry and circles of black were appearing everywhere. My body felt light, the last thing I could recognise before I passed out. Was a body under my arm pulling me to run, manly yells and a soft whisper that sounded like; "You stupid girl, please, don't pass out."

I sure was stupid.

***

I finally came around, I struggled to lift my eyelids but I soon became aware of my surroundings. I was laying in a uncomfortable position on a hard seat, I was facing a window as the sun broke through the clouds. The sky was foggy and a haunting grey but it was beautiful, I don't know how but the sky always seems to be an amazing sight. To be truthful, sometimes I wish I could be like the sky because it always manages to be beautiful. No matter what state it's in, no matter the different hues and colours it contains. It always keeps the title of 'ethereal', and I wish I could be like that. But, reality is, I'm not.

I heard a little grunt next to me and I quickly snapped my head in the direction. The same girl, from earlier, was sleeping next to me. I looked around and I noticed there many other rows of seats. I was on a train, with a girl I don't even know. There was no one else but us in the carriage, due to it being early in the morning. Although, it would surely fill later through the day. But, right now I need to figure out who this stranger is and why I have this sense of familiarity.