Chapter 2: Daffodils

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,

And dances with the daffodils.-William Wordsworth

POEM AND SONG TO THE TOP! JUST SCROLL OVER TO READ THE POEM!

Korali's Pov.

His eyes narrowed at me from across the field. He didn't look too pleased with me but his friends' cheery disposition caused me to smile. One had a bright smile, willing you to be in a good mood and the other had a small smirk on his face. When he noticed where my eye contact went he let out a low growl causing every werewolf in the vicinity to stare at him and lower their heads—even Kaliko.

I looked around at everyone else and their lowered heads before doing the same not wanting to seem the odd one out. I heard another growl, which caused me to abruptly lift my head to meet his eyes. He was already sending a warning growl to anyone else in the field to get away and Kaliko had to follow his command even if she didn't want to.

Although he wasn't our Alpha you could tell by his aura that he was powerful. He gave off that vibe, and there was no mistaking his strength. The wind seemed to pick up carrying his scent of oranges to me in a huge gust that almost knocked me off my feet. The further away we were the more of a headache I had.

We stood there for a good three minutes his penetrable stare on me and because he was my mate my wolf was practically howling in delight, but if I were to see him give that look to anyone else I bet they'd want to get out of his presence quickly—yeah the look wasn't really a good one. It was more of a blank stare his green eyes seeming to rip off my skin. When he saw me his eyes softened for a second but it was so brief that even I barely caught it.

When he finally reached me I expected the regular mate stuff. Ya know, kiss, hug, and talk about their journeys meeting each other. But I got the opposite because that was always the hand I was dealt in the cards of life.

He grabbed my wrist roughly tugging me towards the forest and I merely followed along. We haven't spoken to each other once in this whole five minute journey into the forest either. When we finally reached a small clearing he stopped and let go of my hand like it was painful for him to even think about touching me.

He didn't speak he just stared at me with his forest eyes narrowed at me in a calculating manner. I didn't know what he was looking for so I decided to be the first to speak.

"I'm Korali," I whispered knowing that with our advanced hearing he heard me loud and clear. His eyes snapped back up to my face and he simply nodded at me. He sat on a nearby rock and concentrated on me again. I didn't know how to feel about this.

Was he not going to tell me his name?

I would've felt insecure under his heavy scrutiny if it weren't for the fact that mates were meant for each other and he should like me the way I am.

His lips were pulled into a straight line and although he didn't look unhappy, he didn't look chipper.

I focused on the surrounding forest instead of him; cursing myself for not fixing myself up today. But how was I to know I would meet my mate? Besides I was in pain.

When I looked back at him again I couldn't see any super noticeable signs of fatigue or pain. Why was I the only one affected? Or was this from something else. I was tempted to ask, but he intimidated me.

Our staring game was interrupted by a chuckling male voice breaking through the barrier of trees surrounding us.

"Aye, Jordan. We have a problem with a she-wolf name Kaliko fighting Cailo about a girl name Korali?" The boy was speaking was attractive in his own light-although my mate looked much better. He had light brown hair pulled into a faux-hawk and a joking smile on his face at all the times I've seen him. He seemed like the type to make you smile even if he was talking about poop. He was the one beaming back on the college campus.