Chapter 4: Flash in Action

The police cruiser trundled down the main road out of Sahara Square, its windows sealed against the otherwise oppressive heat. Inside, Barry Allen was lying back and enjoying the icy blast from the vehicles air conditioning while Judy and Nick sat in the front, wondering exactly how they should speak to the strange creature sitting in the back of their car.

"Okay I have one serious question," said Nick, breaking the silence.

"Why aren't you wearing your undies on the
outside of your costume; I thought all superheroes did that?" He asked.

Barry chucked as Judy lightly slapped her partner for being cheeky.

The ice was broken.

"Only the ones in comic books I'm afraid," he replied.

"Shame, you could have some fun with that," said Nick.

"SO. where are you from, exactly?" asked Judy, who was there skillfully navigating them through traffic.

"You're not like any mammal we've ever seen before." She said.

"That might take some explaining," replied Barry.

"Imagine there are multiple versions of earth, only, in one, mammals never evolved, in another the dinosaurs never became extinct.

"One where we're all evil?" enquired Nick.

"Been there, it sucks," replied Barry. "Anyway, these Earths occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies, so they exist in different universes and can't see each other.

 "Anyway, these Earths occupy the same space, but vibrate at different frequencies, so they exist in different universes and can't see each other

"But if you could change the way your body vibrates, you could travel between them," finished Judy.

"Exactly," said Barry.

Nick shot his partner a look that was both impressed and seemed to say 'how'd you know that?' Judy shrugged.

"I might have read a few of your comics when you were off sick last week," she replied.

"So, if you can go anywhere in the universe, why did you come here?" asked Nick.

"Well, It wasn't exactly on purpose." He said.

Twisting the crest on the front of his suit, Barry lent
forward and showed the underside to the two officers. A small device was stuck to the metal, but some of its components looked like they had blown out.

"It's called a Tachyon Enhancer; essentially it allows me to run even faster. I was using it to practice my speed when I accidentally broke the dimensional barrier." He explained.

"And you popped out here, just in time to save me from that explosion," said Judy.

"Pretty much, I'm just happy I landed somewhere that speaks English. Theoretically I could have ended up anywhere." He said.