Chapter 2: New World

"I'm fine Nick, stop fussing.
Nick Wilde looked his partner in the eye as he pulled back her oxygen mask. It had been just over an hour since the blaze was extinguished, and they were currently sitting in the back of an ambulance parked by the smouldering remains of the apartment block. Emergency vehicles had remained on site while injuries were treated and the fire crews made sure that the building wouldn't re-ignite.

"Carrots, you were almost turned into burned bunny by that explosion. If it weren't for that 'Flash' fella then I doubt we would be having this conversation."
He replaced the mask before she could speak and continued to check her for injuries.

Judy had to admit that it was strange for the normally cocksure fox to act like a fussy mother hen, although she would be lying if she said the attention was entirely unwelcome.

"Well, the good news is that you haven't got any serious injuries." He said.

"And the bad news?"

"Maybe you should consider calling yourself 'Singed
Hare'" he replied with a grin.

Judy laughed as she playfully punched him in the arm.

"Ow, the boxing circuit really missed out on you," he
replied, rubbing the impact site.

"Har har," she replied sarcastically. "How are the mammals that were rescued?"

Nick looked over to the police cordon, where a healthy crowd of reporters had gathered since word got out about "The Flash'. They were interviewing some of the mammals he had rescued from the burning building, and Nick spied a few sharing photos from their phones.

"A few need attention for smoke inhalation, but otherwise everyone got out without a scratch," he said, taking a seat next to his partner.
"Heck of a day." He said.

"Yeah," she replied. "How did he move so fast? It was like I was there and then 'WHOOSH! I was out here."

"'Whoosh? Really? That's your best superhero sound?" Nick asked.

"What's wrong with 'whoosh'?" Judy said.

"Nothing...if you want to follow it up with 'bam', 'zork' or even 'kapowza!" Nick said.

"You read too many comic books," chuckled Judy.

"I have to do something while you do all that paperwork." He said.

The two officers shared a laugh as the adrenaline from the day's action began to wear off, fatigue taking its place. Nick sighed as he ran his paw through his sweaty, smoke stained fur, while Judy gently laid her head against his shoulder.

"Any idea where he ran off to?" She asked.

"Not a clue," replied Nick, then he radio sprang to life.

"Officers Wilde and Hopps, return to Precinct 1
immediately!" barked the voice of Chief Bogo.

"But I have a feeling we're going to find out."
__________________________________

" __________________________________