Chapter 5: Make You Proud

Skyler's POV:

I look in the mirror, and lift up my shirt, looking at my stomach. Nope. Not flat. Never is. I wish I was as pretty as Katrina. Or sporty like Allison. Or social like Carissa. Or skinny like Megan. Or lovable like Aby. I've always felt like the odd one out in that group, never having anything special about me. The only thing I like about myself is my voice, and I guess my writing talents. I always thought I was a good singer, so I worked hard to perfect my skills.

I hurry up and finish curling my hair so I can go to the mall with the girls. I slip on some Keds, denim shorts and a white t-shirt with blue stripes. It's April, which means heat here in Florida. I jog down the stairs and grab my purse. My 12 year old sister Stella stops me before I can leave.

"This came for you," she says, handing me a manila envelope, addressed to "Miss Elizabeth Jones." Elizabeth my real name, but I go by my middle name, Skyler. I look at the return address and gasp.

"What?" Stella asks, surprised.

"It's from Juilliard," I whisper.

"Well open it!" She squeals, running over to me. I slowly tear it open almost not wanting to know if I'm accepted. I mean, Juilliard is one of the best arts academies in America, and getting accepted would basically mean I already have a career in singing ahead of me.

I pull out the crisp, white sheet, scanning it quickly.

"I'm in. I'm in! I got accepted to Juilliard!!!" I start dancing in place and my sister does too. "Do you know what this means? I'm gonna be a singer!" My mom groggily walks down the stairs.

"What is all the screaming about?"

"I got accepted to Juilliard!" That wakes her up. She runs over and gets as excited as us. Money's been pretty tight lately, so getting a full scholarship is amazing! This is pretty much the only way I could go to college. I've never been very smart, so this is the only school I could really get into based on my singing talents.

"I always knew you would," my mom says, gently tucking a strand of hair behind my hair as tears fill her eyes.

"Thank you mom." My eyes start to water too as she pulls me in for a big hug. I've always wanted to make her proud.