Epilogue

This was it, exactly what I needed to redeem myself in the new Slayer’s mind, an unquestionable kill. Before my eyes I watched as the dark haired vampire snapped that woman’s neck, no one would argue that an unjust kill.

   Of course the fact that I had been excused from such actions, put on leave while the Master Slayer decided what to do with me after that disastrous Blood Moon gathering might still irk some.

   I still could not see how that could at all be construed as my fault. The fact that Eve disappeared was not so far out of the realm of possibilities, we all risked our lives by entering that manor. So she was my betrothed, one of my own clan, that didn’t mean her life came before my own. I tried to argue that it was her own fault, that I had witnesses that would attest that she refused assistance, choosing to go alone on her invitation then to take another with her.

   But that was the salt in the wound wasn’t it? That Macario, another of my clan and the former Master Slayer’s assistant, disappeared that night as well. Word had it that he went in after her despite her public refusal, but without an invitation one could be sure he didn’t make it past the door. Served him right, I had seen the way he looked at her, the banter they shared when they thought I was not around. He wanted her. He could deny it all he wanted but he never lost an opportunity to touch her, to offer his opinion of our relationship, one that never painted me in a good light.

   I could give the man credit that he never outted me by outright telling her of my infidelity, but I had the feeling that was more for his own gain. Oh yes, wouldn’t it look that much better if she discovered it for herself because he knew it was he she would run to. But if he told her then she might not believe him, tell him he was only jealous.

   Good riddance to the both of them. Because regardless if I was reinstated, the loss of my own ranks meant I was to be demoted to Hunter, no longer a Master of my own clan.

   No the only thing I regretted was the time I had wasted in her. Maybe if she had let me inside her just once it would have been worth it, she was a pretty piece after all. But no, her and her virtues, I scoffed to myself. She was a tease and nothing more. Telling me she would let me between her legs and then finding some reason to deny me. It was better this way, no longer did I have to hide my actions, now it didn’t matter who I bed or when.

   Eyeing the lean female vampire in front of me from around the corner of the alley I thought her a good choice. Small and easy manipulated no matter her strength, I’d offer to spare her life for a price. Not in this garbage strewn alley though, no, I’d have to take her away from the putrid smell. The dead body didn’t matter, the woman was dead, she’d see nothing, but somewhere a little less public was in order. Couldn’t have any of my brother’s learning of my…interrogation methods after all, relations with the damned of any kind were a crime punishable by death.

   Even so my manhood swelled just thinking about it. I could see it going one of two ways, either she’d beg for her life succumbing easily to my wills, or she’d be appalled by it. My lip curled at that thought, it was always better when they put up a little fight, and those vampire bitches were always good for a fight. It made it all that much more satisfying when I proved my dominance over them.

   She would still die of course. They always did no matter how willing they were to save themselves, because in the end I still needed her head as a trophy, proof of the kill. But there was no sense in wasting the opportunity of a warm body.

   There was only one little problem with that plan, the bundle she held in her arms. Where she got the infant from I could not be sure nor did I truly care. If it died it died, I wouldn’t lose the chance to kill this vampire just because she put it between us. But saving its life and killing the vampire would look better for me, though it wasn’t necessary. No one would be able to tell whether I killed it or the vampire once the blood was spilled, there wasn’t enough in its tiny body for it to be discernable.