Chapter Ten

I had found Luke before approaching the vampire as I had hoped I would, but to find him with another woman…

   My hand fell limp at my side as the edges of my vision blurred, this time I couldn’t hold in my gasp as my stomach hitched in sickness.

   And that was all it took to interrupt their little interlude, the woman being anxious as it was snapping her gaze to mine as she attempted to push Luke away from her.

   But he wouldn’t let her go. Instead he latched onto her hips, his pace quickening, “just another moment love,” he grunted out, “I am almost there.”

   His last word broke off as he reached the climax he spoke of. And I could only stand there. Helpless as the man who swore he loved me, had promised to make me his wife, the man who refused to bed me found his relief with another.

   It was all happening again, the loss of what I cared for most in life being stolen from me right before my eyes. And in the house of a vampire no less, how fitting this all worked out.

   For the first time in my life since Angie disappeared I felt the hot tears falling from my eyes, their heat pooling on my cheeks where my mask refused to let them pass. This was why I would never love another, exactly the danger that came with caring for another person, heartbreak left you vulnerable as it froze you still in its grasp.

   I watched silently as he withdrew from her, my mouth unable to form words as he set her back on her feet. He was still unaware of my presence as he tucked his now flaccid self back inside his breeches, the expression on his face that of a satisfied man. She however wouldn’t take her eyes off of me as she tried to straighten her stockings, her jaw hung loose in both embarrassment and shock. Though I could feel her gaze on me I didn’t look back, instead I watched Luke. Watched as he fondled her still exposed breasts with that smug grin once more, telling her she should clean herself up before going back to her husband.

   She managed to tug herself back into her bodice without undoing the laces once Luke removed his hands, but as she leaned over to retrieve her mask from the floor Luke stepped up to her once again. Rubbing himself against her as he purred, telling her maybe her husband could wait just a few moments more.  

   The bastard.

   No longer feeling hurt, the anger over his disregard for our commitment helped me finally find words. But they were not my own, they were the witch’s.

   “You were supposed to watch your back Luke.”

   Though not quite a whisper my words were soft in sound, but in the otherwise silent room they were as loud as a booming cannon.

   Luke had no trouble hearing me.

   “Eve?” he shot around, the arrogance that had been across his face replaced with a fear laced shock.

   As soon as his attention was elsewhere the woman took off through the door, with a thud it hit against the wall, surely letting the Duke know that he was no longer alone up here.

   Now everything was ruined.

   “I can explain that,” Luke gestured to the empty doorway, “please Eve, love, let me explain.”

   I shook my head in disbelief at him as I gathered my skirts in my hands, “go to hell,” I spat and stomped right past him.

   “I had to,” he shouted after me, “to protect our iden-” he faltered in his words realizing what he was about to say, “She begged for it,” were the last words I heard as I disappeared down the stairs.