Chapter Nine

Not that it would have helped me to identify the vampire in question, but I was surprised to find upon taking a tour of the Wilson Manor that there was not one single portrait of the demon. Most of those with any sort of wealth or power- be it human or not- tend to line their walls with their likeness. It was all about vanity. Those in power were full of themselves and their own self importance. But instead the halls were filled with exquisite art pieces of meadows or other landscapes, as if to bring a little bit of the world outside in.

   I scoffed to myself, as if a vampire, a soulless creature that lived for nothing but death could be capable of such a thing. No I would guess it was all a part of his devious scheme to lure in the unaware with such inviting surroundings. Like those I was currently mingling with, those unassuming humans who thought they had won some prize to be invited to such an excessive gala.

   The whole house was dripping in extravagance. From the doormen dressed in perfect livery, to the goblets of champagne offered upon the verification of our invitations. Trays upon trays of food floating through the crowds of caviar and venison, seasoned with spices that could only have come from across oceans. All the way down to the twenty piece orchestra playing out rich melodies so that the men and women could dance their waltzes.

   After making the proper introductions, Luke had left me with the other women so he could get the lay of the mansion. It was all part of the plan. When he was done with that he would meet me back here and ask me to a dance, with our voices being lost to the music we would exchange information, solidifying our best plan of attack. My job was to identify the vampire in question, figuring that he too would be mingling amongst his guests I kept a close watch of the men weaving in and out of the crowd.

   Knowing that the vampires here tonight wouldn’t have survived this many years on the earth without learning how to blend in seamlessly, I had my job cut out for me. All I knew was that the vampire we hunted tonight had been posing as a noble for many years, so I was looking to the finest of garb. Though that meant little considering the event, I was making progress nevertheless. Out of the dozens I had started with I was down to just a handful of suspects after an hour or two of observation.

   I was not worried as yet to where Luke was. Our movements were being carefully watched as well, so I knew that he had to act the part of an unconcerned citizen first and information gatherer second. Meaning at any time he could be pulled aside for conversation, distracted by an offer of drink or food, offers we would not refuse. If we ourselves were to blend in then we had to act as the other humans here tonight did, gracious almost greedy, taking any opportunity given to sample on the treats offered tonight.

   But I had observed all I could from the sofa I was perched upon. Needing both a closer look, and a reprieve from the mindless prattle from the other women trying to outdo each other with the price of this or that garment, I excused myself. I honed in on my first suspect, a rather well dressed man in blue with quite the heavy chain of silver wrapped around his neck. Surely only a vampire would wear something that gaudy, something that would so quickly announce their wealth and as such draw others to him.

   As I approached one of the other men he had been conversing with made a comment I could not hear, but it caused to man to laugh openmouthed. He was not who I was after. There were no fangs in his mouth nor would a vampire so easily expose himself. I moved on, weaving through the crowd for the man with the black mask I had seen earlier.

   Just the opposite of the man in blue, this one’s clothes were understated. A simple black affair much like Luke’s, it was his gait that drew me to him. He floated more than walked, his feet seeming never to reach the floor. And though he was indeed a vampire, it was his lightning fast pick-pocketing skills that told me he too was not who I was after. A person of wealth, be it vampire or mortal, surely would not stoop to such lengths to acquire their riches.