The Monster

"Nancy! Nancy!" they yelled as they moved through the woods, shining their flashlights with their weapons raised.

"Nancy! Where are you?"

"Nancy!"

A fair voice seemed to come through the wind. "Dannie! Jonathan!"

"Did you hear that?" Dannie asked, turning to Jonathan.

"Jonathan! Dannie!"

"We're here! We're right here!"

"Nancy!"

"Just follow my voice! Follow my voice, Nancy! We're right here!" They heard a scream, heading back to the tree they had found the bat at.

"Nancy!" they yelled, stopping and inching closer to the tree as they saw some sort of coating like spiderwebs and goo at the base. Suddenly a hand shot out, Jonathan and Dannie both flying backwards.

"Jonathan! Dannie!" Nancy yelled and they grabbed her hand, pulling her out. She latched onto them, the three sitting on the floor of the forest as they hugged, Jonathan and Dannie staring at the tree as the bark started moving, hiding the hole.

***

"I have to get home or my dad's gonna freak," Dannie apologized as they sat in Nancy's room.

"Since when does your dad care? Or when is he even home?" he asked.

"He got pretty freaked out this afternoon when I tried to leave," she sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Nancy told her.

She gave a small smile, turning back to them when she was in the doorway. "I'm glad you're okay, Nancy." She nodded. Dannie gave one last look to Jonathan before heading back to her house. "Dad? Dad!" she called as she walked inside. "Dad!" She sighed, looking at the mess that was still there from him having torn the house apart. She slowly started putting the house back together until she found a note laying on the kitchen counter.

Gone to Byer's for case. Be safe. Talk to you later.

She only sighed, putting it down and getting food out to make dinner.

***

"Hello?"

"Good. You fixed the phone."

She rolled her eyes. "Hi, Dad."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where are you?"

"I'm following a lead. Joyce is with me too."

"Okay. Just be safe."

"I will."

"And dad?" she caught him before he could hang up. "Thanks for leaving the note." He didn't say anything, so she assumed he was nodding. "I love you."

"Love you too. I'll be home as soon as I can." She nodded and he hung up. She sighed, turning when she heard a knock on the door, opening it to find Nancy and Jonathan.

"We have a plan."

***

They walked through the hunting store, picking up anything they thought might help. By the time they reached the desk to check out, they had all kinds of bear traps, gasoline, matches, and more. The guy only looked at them as they loaded the table.

"And I'll have four boxes of the .38s," Jonathan told him.

He leant down and grabbed them, putting it on the table. "What are you kids doing with all of this?"