The Flea and the Acrobat - Part 2

They stood at the edge of the woods, Jonathan with the gun as he attempted to hit the cans that Dannie had placed on stumps. Jonathan sighed in frustration as he continued to shoot without hitting anything.

"Hey, it takes practice, alright?" Dannie tried to tell him, but he wasn't able to say anything as another voice joined the conversation.

"You're supposed to hit the cans, right?" Nancy called as she joined them.

"No, actually," he smiled, "do you see the spaces in between the cans? I'm aiming for those."

"Ah," she went along with it, dropping her baseball bat and bag on the ground.

"Right," Dannie told him.

"You ever shot a gun before?" Jonathan asked them.

Nancy scoffed. "Have you met my parents?"

"Well, you know who mine is, so that gives you a pretty easy answer."

"I haven't shot one since I was ten," he told them. "My dad took me hunting on my birthday. He made me kill a rabbit."

"A rabbit?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah. I guess he thought it would make me into more of a man or something. I cried for a week."

"Jesus," Nancy let out quietly.

"What? I'm a fan of Thumper." They all chuckled.

"I meant your dad," she told him. "Dannie, I can understand it more with your dad being the sheriff and stuff to teach you how to shoot, but..."

"Yeah. I guess he and my mother loved each other at some point, but... I wasn't around for that part."

"Maybe that's better than watching them fall out of love," Dannie said quietly, but they heard. Nancy reached her hand out and Jonathan handed her the gun.

"Just, uh, point and shoot."

"That's quite the explanation," Dannie told him and he rolled his eyes.

"I don't think my parents ever loved each other," Nancy admitted.

"They must've married for some reason."

"My mom was young," she told him as she aimed. "My dad was older, but he had a cushy job, money, came from a good family. So they bought a nice house at the end of the cul de sac and started their nuclear family."

"Screw that."

"Yeah," she told him. "Screw that." She shot one of the cans, making it fly off of the stump.

"Well, screw all types of families," Dannie went next, aiming and shooting the next cans.

"What's your story?" Nancy asked and Dannie gave a sarcastic laugh.

"Not a fairy tale. More like a Brother's Grimm story." Nancy looked at her. "My parents loved each other. Got married, had me, got pregnant again, moved to the city, and had Sarah. We were happy, went to a good school, my parents had good jobs... and then Sarah got sick. After she died, the family kinda fell apart. My mom didn't want too much to do with me, so me and my dad moved into Hawkins. See? A real Disney classic." She shot the last can.

***

"Hello?" a woman asked as Hopper held the phone to his ear.

"Hey."

"Jim?"

"Yeah."

She sighed. "Why are you calling me? I told you not to call me unless it was something important with Dannie. Is she okay?"