Chapter 14

Kurotsuchi briefly let her heart swell at the sight of all the people crowding down below the streets to get a view of the official announcement. At that time, only the highest-ranking shinobi knew about the announcement and had let it slip to the populace slightly, but not enough time had transpired for it to reach the entire population. So, she had a front row seat in watching the emotion of the people transform throughout the speech. The civilians, shinobi, men, women, children, protractors for peace, detractors for peace; she got to see how their faces changed to the new information provided for them.

A new kage, the sister of the previous one. A contract that settled peace between all five major nations and the minor ones as well. A polyamorous marriage that kept it all wrapped up, one which the new kage was a part of.

Kurotsuchi wasn't aware of which tidbit of information got the most confusion from the people: the idea of peace, or that it would be tied to a six-way marriage.

But, at the end of it, there wasn't a riot at the very least. Yelling for answers to their myriad questions, yes, but nothing belligerent, which she was grateful for. She had the idea that the village hidden in leaves was a little bit more understanding, having a more optimistic attitude than the others. And so, at the sight of the faces of the people, their skin and emotions both equally weathered, Kurotsuchi had let fear enter her heart.

Jiraiya clapped his hands and the top of the kage building erupted in smoke, jolting Kurotsuchi out of her thoughts. She body flickered back in the building as soon as she could and stumbled next to her grandfather, looking at the tall and imposing stature of Jiraiya behind the desk, next to Temari, who was doing her own attempt at an imposing pose.

And damnit if it didn't look imposing.

Kurotsuchi bit her lip and stepped back a few feet, firmly in the very back of the room. Jiraiya was talking, but she wasn't listening, not anymore. She took a few more steps back and felt the handle of the door with her hand, grasping it firmly, and was about to pull back when a more feminine voice cut it.

"And I would like to thank you all," Temari said, her voice deep and full of pride. She spoke like an entirely different person when she was in 'kage-mode', when she was talking to people who weren't her friends.

Wait, friends? Were they friends? Kurotsuchi didn't like the girl, but there wasn't a sheer, unassailable malice in her heart towards her. It was more akin to a grudge at that point. Sure, she didn't like that she fucked Naruto, but it wasn't like she staked a claim. While she was whiling away at how she felt, he got taken by someone else.

Temari was still talking. Something about how the change in her title shouldn't necessitate a change in relationship, or something. She wasn't really listening. What captured her attention was Fu, who was decidedly also not paying attention. The girl busied her time with staring at Naruto with half-lidded eyes. The girl wore her emotions on her sleeve, Kurotsuchi had to give at least that much credit, but that didn't mean she had to like it.

Well, Naruto might have had a technical harem a few weeks ago, but he had an official harem now.

And with that sullen and depraved thought, Kurotsuchi tugged the door so it made no noise and slipped outside for some time alone. Most of her days had been spent trying to avoid Naruto by hanging out with everyone else even tangentially related to him. His teammate, master, teacher, Mei, Fu, Yugito, hell even Ai, Shibuki, and her grandfather.

She could tell that they knew what was happening with her mind frame, but they never brought anything up, which she was grateful for. They spent time doing nothing much at all: tours, food, interesting people, the like. Turns out, none of them had been to the hidden village of sand for anything other than to try to conduct a raid on it, so ingratiating with the culture was a little bit nice for everyone involved.