5- Vanilla

I've naturally always been a mess.

That was what Ma always sang when I was little, just like it was a hymn and I believed her.

But I always tried my best to not be a mess.

Before Aunt Penelope left, she had held my hand tight, all the veins on it showing as she said "Vanessa. I want you to understand that this place, is your only hope out of prison. I don't want- I don't want any tricks. Do you understand?"

Just because I wanted to see her smile since all this seriousness was really unsettling me, I saluted "Yes ma'am!"

It didn't move her "I'm serious Nessa" Then she sighed "Look. They are some rumours about this place-"

I raised an eyebrow, confused "Rumours?"

She doesn't complete the sentence anyway, shaking her head as she holds me tighter and says "Promise me you'd be good"

Okay, scary as hell "Okay"

Her eyes looked bloodshot at that moment "Vanessa"

I nodded hurriedly "Okay!" Taking out the golden crucifix that I've had ever since I was born, I placed a kiss on it "I promise on my soul. Can I go now?"

I suppose that the whole eagerness I felt at wanting to just leave her, an aunt I never knew I had, to complete strangers who she heard rumours about was weird but she nodded anyway, kissing me on my forehead before she left me with them.

I say them because I don't expect what happens.

After Doctor Sweet left me with them, I experienced the silent treatment, then when one person spoke, it got one acting like Shrek because Donkey wouldn't stop singing and then stormed away, Pumpkin following him, which left me with Pale boy and Creepy guy.

I know, I know, I'd find better nicknames later.

However, I note one thing.

They. Are. All. Nuts.

It's them that remind me why I'm here in the first place.

To be cured.

Kinda makes me wonder what brought them there, even though I can make speculations but who am I to judge?

Just another sick person that is currently here for help.

But hey!

At least one of them is relatively normal.

When we reach the dining room, Mel is still holding my hand, eyes looking everywhere but me. Chocolate is talking to Pale boy, his eyes only blinking once and twice to show he's actually a real person before he looks at me.

His silver eyes remind me of clouds as he stares, and he doesn't need to say it, doesn't need to show it, but I can read it.

He's saying 'I see you'

"Vanilla!"

I manage to tear my eyes away from Cream, letting out a small breath as I wave at Chocolate with my free hand "Hello"

He smiles, now looking away from Cream as he faces me, chin on his hands "I see Mel's stuck to you, and yes, my clothes, no matter what you wear, looks divine on you"

Caramel leaves my hand at that instant, now pulling a chair that's next to the head of the table and sitting, not looking at me and I do the same to the one next to him before I hear Coco giggle "No darling. That's Ber's seat"

Oh.

I put it back, looking around for the next empty seat before my eyes spot the one at the other end of the table then I walk over to it and sit, noticing that Cream and Chocolate's eyes are following me as I do so.