The Hearing

It had all happened really fast again but this time she was more prepared. Zuko had kept his word and figured something out. He had explained the entire situation to his friend and staunchest ally Aang, the Avatar, the same day she had clarified her fears and reasons to him. The parole hearing was successfully reconvened in less than a month.

She now stood before the entrance of the designated room, flanked by two guards, with only the door itself separating her from the man she famously nearly killed a decade ago, the man who now had the power to decide over her life in return.

„Nervous?" one of the guards asked, sympathetically enough to make her feel safe using a bit of humor.

„It's only my future on the line, I see no reason why I should be worried?"

She chuckled and said: „Too late to avoid it now." after which she knocked on the door.

Azula heard the word „enter", turned to the guard, thanked her with a nod, then all three of them stepped in.

The man in orange and yellow robes hardly resembled the boy she remembered fighting. He was much taller, more muscular and appeared much tougher also, as it would befit the most powerful human in the world. Yet there was a gentleness in the way he comported himself, the way he smiled and the way his eyes shone with warmth. He was surrounded on his left and right by officials from the other three elemental nations, and was the only one who stood up when she entered.

„Azula, pleasure to finally meet you again. Please take a seat, make yourself comfortable."

She wondered how he could possibly derive any pleasure from seeing her, then decided that it was probably just politeness and complied with his request. The chair was pretty comfortable though, she had to admit.

He then spoke to the guards: „You can leave us, please." Seeing their bewildered looks he added: „I take full responsibility for whatever happens, you don't need to worry."

After they left the room and he himself was seated again he spoke to Azula with a welcoming smile:

„You look good."

„Are you commenting on my health or my beauty?"

„Both."

It was starting to become obvious to her that he was trying to make her feel at ease as much as possible so she wouldn't be too hesitant to reveal things about herself, a tactic her therapist and family employed often. She calculated her options for a while. She was tempted to sabotage the whole thing by acting as difficult as possible but doing so would make Zuko rightfully feel no sympathy for it whatsoever this time. This challenge she simply had to face. She decided her best bet would be to answer the Avatar's questions as truthfully and as naturally as possible, but without unnecessary oversharing.

„Thank you. Is there anything else you'd like to comment on before you start asking me questions?"

„Zuko told me you had a tattoo, I'd love to see it. I love well made tattoos in general."

„As you wish Avatar, just don't act shocked like he did."

She rolled up her sleeve and revealed it. Aang studied it for a couple of long moments then said with reverence:

„It's beautiful. The calligraphy, the layout, really impressive. Who made it for you?"

„I did."

„Even the actual needlework?"

Especially the actual needlework." she answered with a strong tint of pride in her voice.

„I remember how proud and happy I was when I got my airbending master tattoos. The monks told me I was the youngest person in our history to ever get them. You hold a few youngest person ever records too if I'm not wrong?"