Chapter 10

The silence between us grew heavier, I shifted awkwardly as he held my gaze with an irritable expression. He sighs, sweeping his hair off his face.
"May I?" he steps to my side where Elise holds my arm, extending his in invitation. She looks up, a smile tugging at her lips as I hesitantly nod my agreement.
"Your Highness, M'Lady" she shuffles off, beckoning to the other servants to bring out extra tea and snacks. But his highness did not lead me to the pavilion, instead we slowly strode deeper into the duke's renowned garden.
"The imperial gardens have always been impressive...but its incomparable to these gardens. The generational care and beauty is...astounding, I can't imagine one ever getting used to it..." yes indeed, it was captivating in every sense, though it was dearly looked after, it was anything but pristine and immaculate such as the royal gardens, but it had an aged beauty to it, a timeless sanctuary.
"Mm" I mutter softly. I would be lying if I said I wasn't uncomfortable. A headache was beginning to form and the pain at my side certainly wasn't subsiding, I'm not entirely sure why he is here, but my guess would be he wanted, or...needed answers.
I glanced up to his face, my vision entwining with his merciless gaze, but softer, more considerate than before. I pushed my original question to the back of my mind as a slight grin tugged to my lips.
"It seems you find another sort of beauty more astounding...Your, Highness." I angle my head sideways, meeting his gaze straight on. His eyes gleam with a hint of surprise, but he does not break my stare as he shifts himself in front of me, bringing his hand up to brush what might have been a leaf from my hair. His fingers, rougher than I expected grazed my cheek gently as he lowered his arm, it's hard not to blush, but I instigated this, and I certainly didn't plan on ending up flustered.
"Hmm well I doubt anyone would grow tired of this sight either" he softly smiled as I scoffed, his hand rising again to touch the side of my stomach but I wince as he brushes against the wound. Quickly his hand fell back down, but his apologetic expression suddenly turned aggravated.
"That wasn't...you shouldn't have gone looking for her, not at least with help or something to defend yourself with" his brows furrowed as he studied my now frail appearance.
I clenched the side of my skirt, facing away.
"You could...you could have followed after me" he grimaced and broke his gaze.
"I did. I did try to follow after you, but I had no sword and by the time I got the guards, you were gone." He did what was right I knew that, I shouldn't have hastily ran off without much of a plan. Either way, she wouldn't have been saved but I could have saved myself from this nasty wound. However, I don't think it was all for naught, after all I did see who the culprit was. And that was information I know is crucial, and would be why Izana is here.
But not now. I couldn't talk about this now, not in the depth he needed, and I'm certainly not in the condition to be standing much longer.
"Your highness, I believe I should retire now...May I bother you to escort me back to my chambers?" He meets my gaze again, unfurling his brows and he wearily smiles.
"Yes of course..." he grips my arm as we steadily walk back inside, through the hallway to my bedroom where a maid offers her assistance in the stead of Izana's. I gently curtsy before turning away but he reaches out, grasping my hand as lightly and timidly as a child to a mother.
"I should apologise, I shouldn't have bothered you so soon, considering how your only starting to recover." His words were light and considerate, a drastic parallel to his usual arrogant way of speech. He was being sincere, kind. "When you are ready or feeling better, there some things I and others would like to, no need to know regarding what happened. As you said briefly before, you were the last person she was with and you were the only witness to see and speak with that man." He slowly let go and I nodded my head in agreement.
"Shall I write to you when I'm feeling better?"
"That would be perfect, thank you. I'll leave you to rest now" he nodded and followed after the steward, leaving me to be able to finally lie down. I sigh, watching the golden leaves outside begin to fall with the gusts of the gentle breeze. The glimmer of gold foil on my bedside table catches my attention, I sit back up reaching for the piece of paper.
"Ah.." how could I have forgotten? The invitation lady Cecelia had offered me now sat in my hands, someone must have removed it from my dress, luckily so.
"The Round Table of Flowers..."