I

Arthur is drunk, stumbling around like a fool, almost tripping on multiple ocations. Merlin follows him to his room, a frown on his face.

When the two reach the bedroom, Arthur goes and stands next to a chair at the dining table, leaning on it to stabilize himself. The frown on his face and the sadness in his eyes, it is concerning. Merlin sighs and walks closer, "Arthur?"

The prince doesn't turn, or look up, he just grumbles in reply.

"Are you alright?", Merlin asks, standing in front of him, looking down at the messy blond hair.

Arthur shrugs and it the only answer Merlin needs. He knows his friend isn't feeling well, but him, drunk like this makes it a lot more risky to try and comfort him.

"I want to sleep.", the prince mumbles, a subtle command to help him get ready for bed.

Merlin understands, of course he does, but his face warms and his heart skips a beat nonetheless. He scolds himself for it.

But somehow, pulling at Arthur's shirt and helping him out of it feels much more intimate than usual.

Arthur keeps his eyes down.

Merlin pauses and takes a deep breath, hands hovering over the belt. He tries to keep his mind focused on Arthur's feelings, not on his chest, or the way his arms look.

And then, Arthur looks up and all composure flies out the window.

His gaze is dark, filled with sorrow and something else Merlin can't quite put his finger on. He stands there, staring down at his prince, hands hovering at his waist. Maybe the drink he had earlier was starting to get to him.

Their breaths mingle and Merlin could swear that Arthur was closer than before. A rough hand found its place at the back of his neck, his heart almost jumping out of his chest at the action.

"What's wrong?", he asks wearily, dropping his hands to his sides.

The prince shakes his head, stumbling forward, only for Merlin to catch him by his waist.

"Come on, you need rest.", Merlin tells him, trying to pull away, but Arthur keeps a strong hold of his neck. They stare into each others eyes again.

And then, Arthur leans up.

Their lips touch if only for a moment and it sets their hearts on fire. Merlin kisses back, gently reaching out to hold Arthur's face.

He pulls away after, scolding himself. Arthur isn't in his right mind, he could tell by the way his narrowed blue eyes stared through him, as if he's not there.

When Merlin leaves soon after, the way back to his chambers and the night that followed, he couldn't stop thinking about it.

He hoped Arthur didn't remember any of it.

For both their sakes.