Worry

Arthur continues to worry.

He continues to fear that one day, Merlin would get himself killed.

So, he does what any sensible knight, prince and friend would do. He starts to train him. He doesn't tell Merlin, for obvious reasons, just hopes that he will get the memo. His excuse is bland and honestly quite bad.

"You want me to fight you, like actually fight you?", Merlin asks, only to receive a nod in return. It wasn't a believable lie. Since the prince has also said on numerous occasions that Merlin is as good with a sword as a 12-year-old boy.

"Come on, try to hit me."

Merlin lunges forward, swinging the sword like he has seen Arthur do many times. He barely gets the time to think before he falls to the ground, the prince victorious above him.

"That is unnecessary.", he quips, standing up.

"Stop whining."

The two train for a while, the sun close to setting by the time they're done and Merlin practically collapses onto the ground, sitting against a tree and gasping for air, "How do you do this every day?", he asks, wide eyes staring at the barely affected prince.

"Thats just it, Merlin. I do this every day. When's the last time you got any proper exercise?", Arthur asks, sheathing his weapon.

"I run around doing chores for you every day. That's more than enough, trust me.", Merlin answers, ducking his head between his knees.

"Oh, come on, I don't make you do that much.", Arthur complains, gesturing wildly with his hands and Merlin laughs.

Arthur smiles at that, his chest warming at the sound. Making Merlin laugh has always been akin to accomplishment to him. He would never admit it though, "Come on, let's go before the night sets in.", he holds a hand out and Merlin takes it.

Arthur looks for a moment, in the blue eyes that match his own. He always liked Merlin's eyes better than his own, not that he would ever admit that either. Merlin's eyes shine with mischief and happiness. Sometimes they dim with wisdom or sadness and in those moments, Arthur sees an honest version of him.

He pulls away, exchanging the warm hand with the sword Merlin used.