Ch 16

Not edited. NOTE! PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR NOTE AT THE BEGINNING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. THIS IS A SPINOFF STORY TO PAWNED VIRTUE. SETH IS JONES FROM THAT STORY.

Seth and Lucas walked out of the elevator and into the hallway of the third floor of the hospital. As always, an air of power surrounded the men. In numbers they were all avoided but for now the looks they received were a curious admiration. They passed the desk where a nurse was talking on the phone.

"Sure you want to do this?"

"I'm not running from this Lucas."

Lucas nodded with a small hum escaping him. He wasn't there in any other capacity but to make sure that Jones didn't do anything stupid... and if he did then, well, he'd do whatever was necessary to difuse the situation.

Room three twelve. Seth stopped at the door and inhaled. The next few minutes weren't going to be all that pleasant. He hadn't been to see Trey since his aunt called him when he was a coma. Being told the man would live was in his eyes great news for one reason and one reason only.

He wouldn't have to fulfill any sense of family duty with Trey still in the land of the living.

He turned the handle and pushed the door open. Looking around fron the empty bed he found Trey was standing with the use of a frame.

Although obviously wobbly, his face held determination. He wanted to walk and would push himself until he did. The guy helping him was counting backwards and he forced himself not to cave. He could do this!

The moment the count hit zero he fell back into the chair behind him. Panting and dripping sweat from exhaustion he grinned at nothing in particular. He tried. He did.

He would walk again!

"Ah, seems like you have some visitors."

Trey's gaze quickly narrowed in to match Seth's solemn one.

"If you're here because I won't let my parents in then..."

Seth shook his head and walked forward with Lucas following him.

"Nope. Haven't seen or spoke to them in months. Not interested."

Trey chuckled darkly.

"Neither am I."

The physio broke in briefly to schedule the appointment that Trey was to have the next day and with a nod to Seth and Lucas he left the room.

"Did you know they sent Donna away?"

The question was unexpected but by the way Trey was looking at him, he knew that his cousin was suspicious of his motives for being there.

"Donna told me."

Trey looked at him in surprise.

"You see her? Is she ok? Did she have the baby? Oh hell of course she did. What did she have? Where is she?"

Trey sounded desperate. In Seth's mind... too desperate.

"Are you really interest cousin? Is it Donna you want to about or just the baby?"

"What?!" Trey's look was almost incredulous. "Both! She's my wife and the baby... is it a boy or a girl?"

Seth sighed and with his good hand he ran his fingers through his hair.

"A boy. You have a son."

"A son" Trey whispered "I'm a Dad."

"Yeh. Whatever." Seth couldn't help but sound a droll as he felt. The lack of emotion went by Trey who was wrapped up in the knowledge that he was a father.