Chapter Nine

Dracula noticed his phone buzzing as the gang watched firefighters putting Frank and the fire out.

"What? It's Mavis, i'm not answering it" Dracula said, Valerie grabbed his ear and twisted it "You are going to answer her and you are going to tell her the truth!" she told him.

"All right!" Dracula whined and she let go before he answered the call "Yes honeybunch?" he asked Mavis.

"Dad? Where are you?" Mavis asked.

"Um, we're outside the hotel, having a little cookout, it's perfectly safe" Dracula said, Valerie groaned in the background rolling her eyes.

"What's that noise? Is that a siren?" Mavis asked.

"Oh, those are just some wailing banshees checking in, quiet you banshees! We're trying to have a perfectly safe cookout over here" Dracula said as if Mavis would actually buy it.

"Mommy? I wanna say hi! Mommy! Mommy!" Dennis said running over when he heard Mavis on the phone "Papa Drac just tried to teach me how to fly" he said.

"Wait a minute, is that the mother?" Dana asked also coming over and reaching for the phone before Dracula slammed it on his face "Oh no, static again" Dracula said making random noises.

"I am coming back to the hotel right now! And you better be there or i swear dad, you're gonna be very sorry" Mavis said before hanging up on him.

"We should of just stayed in the hotel! Why in the world did i ever agree to join this stupid monster trip?!" Valerie asked more herself going off on a rant the others chose to ignore.

"Guys we gotta move, we got no car! How we gonna get out of here?" Dracula asked going over to the ranting Valerie and attempting to calm her down only to get brushed off.

"Don't worry, i made a call" Griffin said making the couple pause when Blobby appeared on the Rascal with sticks and leaves and even a squirrel stuck inside the gelatinous creature.

Blobby blubbered some nonsense.

"I'm sorry Blobby, we really meant to call you sooner" Dracula said even though he didn't look actually sorry about it, they all packed into the Rascal and slowly took off.

~

"The sun's going to make it there before we do at this rate" Valerie noted looking over Frank's shoulder, as she had tucked in next to Wayne on the big monsters lap, when she noticed the sky starting to lighten up.

~

Blobby blubbered something, once they were on the highway.

"You have to go now? When we finally have no traffic, you're killing me Blobby" Dracula said, regardless of that they made a stop.

~

They were on the road again when the Rascal ran out of juice.

"This scooter thing's out of juice we're never gonna make it, Frank blow" Dracula told the big man and he blew up Blobby like a balloon before letting the air go and they went flying across the sky.

They even beat a train to go through a tunnel.

"How fun is this? Why are you laughing? You like that?" Dracula asked Dennis as he was laughing "Watch this" he said before tickling Blobby and they zigzagged through the air.

"Now this is flying Denisovich" Dracula said holding Dennis up.

"Like a vampire" Dennis said spreading his arms out cheering and laughing.

"That's my boy, look at you go" Dracula said, Valerie smiled clinging tightly onto Dracula, as she had been the whole flight, maybe the trip hadn't been so bad since Dennis was bonding with his grandpa like he hadn't before.

They flew past some ducks scaring them to fly off scattering in the wind, "You're the coolest guy who wears a cape papa Drac" Dennis said.

~

They landed safely infront of the hotel, except Valerie as she bounced off of Blobby as he was landing sending her up again with a yelp but Dracula caught her bridal style after putting Dennis down.

He smiled and she smiled and they shared a moment before he let her down to call Mavis.

"So hey, when are you going to get here already? We've been waiting" Dracula trailed off noticing Mavis already at the steps leading into the hotel.

"Give me my son" Mavis demanded.

"We just went out for some avocados" Dracula tried making an excuse, Valerie groaned and facepalmed.

'Even if that had been a good excuse, which it wasn't, now was the opportunity to fess up and not pile on more lies' she thought.

"Mommy! I flew!" Dennis said.

"I saw" Mavis deadpanned and showed a highly edited version of the video.

Dracula slumped in defeat and despite still being a little mad at him Valerie laid a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Dennis ran over to Mavis hugging his mother as she hugged him back.

"I was worried Dennis wasn't safe around other monsters, now i don't even feel like he's safe around you" Mavis said.

"But i was just" Dracula went onto say trying to defend himself when Mavis cut him off "What was it you said? Human, monster, unicorn that it didn't matter?" she asked.

"Well i just know his life would" Dracula went to say but Mavis cut him off again "We'll have his birthday party here on Wednesday, then we're moving" she said.

"Please, Mavey don't leave" Dracula pleaded.

"Maybe you've let humans into your hotel dad but i don't think you've let them into your heart" Mavis said and walked off with Dennis with Johnny shortly following.