Chapter Eight

We're going to talk, young lady

Theo's

"CONGRATULATIONS, THEO, IT'S YOU."

I heard Mr. Demitri loud and clear but damn, I couldn't understand him. All I did was sit in the middle of that bed while looking at him with that comical expression painted on my face. Gusto kong ipaulit sa kanya ang sinasabi niya sa akin pero wala akong maapuhap na salita. Sinasabi niya bang ako ang pinili niya para kay Hailey? Bakit ako? Anong kinalaman ko sa usapan nilang dalawa? Nakit naman siguro niya ang ginawa ni Perseus sa akin kagabi, did he choose me because he feels sorry for me?

"Theo, are you listening to me?"

"Bakit ako?"

"You care about my Hailey so much. Nakasisiguro akong magiging maayos ang pagsasama ninyong dalawa."

"You're serious?" Hindi ako talaga makapaniwala.

"I am dead serious." Ngumisi pa si Mr. Demitri sa akin. "The reason why I was on the way to your home last night was because I wanted to talk to your parents. I've known your family for a long time. Kilala ko ang mga magulang mo, even their parents and I know that you came from a good family. I wanted to tell your father about my proposal and if he agrees, I will support him to his next political endevours."

Sa ngayon kasi ay isang congresista si Papa. He was the former president of the Philippines but he stoop down his position because he chose to live a peaceful life with my mother, pero ika nga, people will always go back to whatever they love and my father went back to politics with of course a blessing from my mother. It's also the reason why I am taking up Political Science, after this, I'll take up Law and I'll try my best t enter politics too. That has been my goal ever since I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up. But that's not really the point. I looked at Mr. Demitri again.

"Why me?"

"Kailangan bang ulit – ulitin ko? You care about my daughter. You'll take care of her." Wika niya pa sa akin. Lalo akong naguluhan.

"Yes, I care about Hailey, but that doesn't mean my feelings for her could turn into a romantic one."

"Oh... really? Are you sure? I've talked to you several times, I've watched you, Theo, I know you're in love with my Hailey." Nakakaloko pa iyong pagkakasabi niya noon sa akin. Naguguluhan na ako, why is everyone telling me that I am in love with Hailey, when I am not? We are just friends and that will never turn to something more than that. Kahit naman kailan ay hindi ako nakita ni Hailey sa ganoong perception. Kahit kailan ay hindi ako lalapagpas sa kaibigan para sa kanya. Hailey loves Perseus, if in case she decides to stop loving him. I'm sure Hailey will find someone else, someone that isn't me.

"Mr. Demi—"

"This conversation is over, Theo." Nakangisi pa rin siya sa akin. "I'll take you home. I'll talk to your father some other time. Uuwi muna ako. Hindi ko nakita ang asawa ko kagabi dahil sinamahan kita rito." Napapailing pa siya habang sinasabi niya iyon sa akin. As if naman sinabi kong bantayan niya ako. Bakit parang kasalanan ko pang hindi niya nakita si Mrs. Demitri kagabi? I sighed and thought about Hailey again. How is she today? Is she still upset because of what happened yesterday? Is she now thinking of going back to Perseus? Hanggang kailan kaya niya sasaktan ang sarili niya? Kailan kaya niya makikita na higit pa sa iniisip niya ang kahalagahan niya bilang tao at bilang babae? I wished she would love herself more than she loves Perseus. I hope she finds her real happiness, because as I always say, Hailey deserves it all. She deserves so much better.