Chapter: 15

Chapter 15: Christmas Day

It's been three days since Kale and his family stormed out of the cabin, three days Kale has been ignoring my calls and texts, and three days in which I have tried my hardest to distract myself from Colton. Today is Christmas Eve, there was already a tree up in the room and I had helped Jacklen decorate it earlier in the morning. Most of the presents were already wrapped up and tucked neatly underneath the tree, waiting to be opened. I felt a tug at my sweatshirt sleeve and I looked down to see Chad looking up at me with his big blue eyes that matched Colton's perfectly. I squatted down so I was eye level with him.

"What's up, Buddy?"

"Will you help me place out carrots for the reindeer and cookies for Santa Clause tonight?"

"Of course I will!"

Chad grinned a toothy grin at me and I smiled back at how adorable he was.

"Mommy says that Santa won't bring any gifts unless we pay him in cookies, and I feel bad for the reindeer for having to work so hard all in one night, so I make sure to leave carrots for them."

"That sounds like a perfect idea!"

He flashed me one more grin, then turned around and dashed away. I can't get over how cute Chad is, I don't think I ever will. A sadness suddenly washed over me when I realized that this will be the first Christmas without my parents. My parents used to work all the time, they traveled everywhere, so I didn't get to see them very much, but the one holiday they made sure never to miss, was Christmas. Yeah, they missed a couple of my birthdays, but Christmas was the one that actually brought the family together.

I decided to try and get my mind off of my parents by going into the kitchen to see if Jacklen needed any help with baking. A whiff of cinnamon hit my nose when I walked in, and Jacklen looked over at me with flour smudged on her face, I had to laugh.

"What? Is there something on my face?"

I love how that's the initial reaction from a girl when someone randomly just starts laughing at them. I think it's in our nature, or it's because it's one of our fears of embarrassment, because who wants to be talking to someone when they possibly have food on their face? Smirking at her, I replied with

"You look like the Pillsbury Doughboy!"

"Don't you mean Pillsbury Doughgirl?"

Jacklen flashed me a pearly white smile and I smiled back at her.

"Need any help?"

"Actually, yes I do. I have just ran out of a few ingredients, and I need someone to go pick them up from the small grocery store that is near here, so it'd be awesome if you went with Colton!"

She almost sounded too enthusiastic. Her eyes were alight with what looked like a plan, and her smile was larger than life. I was suspicious of her. I'm almost positive she is just making me go with Colton just to get me to spend time with him.

"If Colton's going, then why do I need to go?"

Jacklen didn't even seem fazed by my question, and quickly replied

"Oh, because you and I both know Colton, if I ask him to do something, he is bound to do something wrong, so you can make sure that he gets all the ingredients that I need."

"Okay, I'll go. You're right, Colton could use the help."

We both started laughing, until a second later, someone said

"What could I use help for?"

I spun around to see Colton leaning against the doorway of the kitchen with his hands wedged into his pockets casually. I sucked in a breath at how handsome he looked. He was wearing a pair of black jeans, worn low on the hips, and a blue plaid shirt rolled up to his elbows. His hair was styled neatly, but messily in a way that looked so utterly sexy on him. Since Jacklen noticed I was incapable of speaking, she replied for me.