Chapter Fifteen: Goodbye

CONTENT WARNING: gun violence, blood, and death. READER DISCRETION ADVISED.

~~

Catherine didn't slow down with caring for Abuela Alma, even after the hug that would mean the safety for the encanto. She eventually finished the painting for Agustín and Julieta's anniversary and got to work on Señora Guzman's.

Miguel never showed any further signs of being a risk to the encanto that the entire family was beginning to treat him as part of the family like they did Mariano. Only three people never treated him as family, Antonio, Bruno and Catherine.

"Why can't you be happy for Luisa?" Julieta asked them one day after Miguel returned to the house he was staying in.

"The animals still don't trust him, Tía," Antonio had explained.

Catherine and Bruno hadn't answered, but they both planned to not trust Miguel as long as Antonio and his animals did. They both had history proving to them that animals just had a sixth sense when it came to people.

So, just two days after, Catherine was sitting outside Casita, getting some sunshine and fresh air as she painted, Bruno was helping his brothers clean inside the house when the whole of Encanto shook.

It wasn't the first earthquake Catherine had felt since being in Colombia. The first inside the encanto, but even so it made her abandon her painting. Concern bubbled inside her for Bruno and the Madrigal family that turned to dread when she realised that the doors were flickering, and Casita wasn't shaking. The encanto was, but Casita was not.

Casita had set up the stairs directly to Abuela Alma's room. Everyone was already there.

"Bruno," Catherine said and rested her hands on his shoulders.

"Bruno?" Abuela Alma said weakly. "Bruno?"

"I'm here Mamí," Bruno said and took his mother's hand.

"Is she with you? Catalina?"

"Mamí?"

"Marry her, Bruno. Marry her."

Catherine felt herself blush. Bruno wanted to cower away from everyone. Julieta and Pepa were both looking at him.

"Pedro?"

Everyone looked at Abuela as she softly let go of Bruno.

"Pedro? Pedro, where are you? Pedro?"

No one knew what to do. Or say. Catherine wasn't sure who this Pedro was but she could see that it was someone important to the family.

"Mamí, Papí is-"

"Hola, mi amor."

They all looked as Pedro walked between everyone up to Abuela Alma's side. Catherine recognised him as the man in the portrait as the stairs.

"Papá," Bruno gasped.

"Camilo." Catherine quickly realised. Quickly put the pieces together.

Camilo, as his deceased grandfather, sat beside his Abuela.

"Pedro. You're here," Abuela said between weak coughs.

"I'm here, Alma."

"I... can't breathe, Pedro..."

"It'll be okay, mi amor. It'll be okay."

"I am scared, Pedro. The children..."

"You've raised them well, Alma." Camilo's voice slipped. "They'll be okay."