Chapter Fourteen: Confession

The whole two days Miguel had been in the village, he had spent every waking moment with Luisa. Dolores hadn't picked up on any real questionable behaviour from him other than that he seemed to want to know more about the magic and that, for the most part, Luisa was really enjoying her time with him.

No one brought up Miguel during meal times, and seeing how happy Luisa had become with him in her life, everyone began to believe that maybe... just maybe... there was another way to avoid the war. But it meant using Luisa's crush and no one wanted that.

Catherine spent the day when she wasn't helping Abuela Alma, painting, working on her commissions. Bruno had recruited Antonio and the rats to act out telenovelas for Abuela. Antonio had more fun than Bruno did. And the stories made Abuela laugh and cry. Now, they were enacting the season finale of Alberto and Rebecca's love story. Dolores and Mariano were in the room with them and Dolores was already in tears.

Alberto was declaring his love for Rebecca on her death bed when suddenly Dolores cried out, "no!"

"Dolores?" Bruno asked.

"We haven't even got to the saddest part," Antonio said.

Dolores tilted her head, her eyes wide.

"Don't answer him, Luisa," Dolores mumbled.

Catherine put her paints down to give Dolores her full attention.

"What's happening?" Abuela Alma asked.

"Lu... no... oh no..."

"Dolores?" Bruno asked.

"Toñito... everybody needs to come home. Now," Dolores said.

She looked pale.

"Señora, what happened?" Mariano asked.

"How could she? She knew! She knew better!" Dolores stood quickly. "Antonio, I said now!"

Antonio flinched away from his sister and ran out of the room.

"Dolores, you shouldn't yell at your brother like that," Bruno said. "What's wrong? Talk to us?"

"Luisa just told Miguel about your vision," Dolores answered.

"Bruno's vision?" Abuela Alma asked. "Brunito?"

"In the middle of the village," Dolores finished.

Catherine and Bruno felt cold.

"Julieta and Pepa..." Bruno muttered.

His sisters were in the town today. And if the village began to think Bruno brought on the end of the village, the entire Madrigal family would be a target to get to Bruno... which explained why Dolores panicked to get everyone home...

"Catherine, stay with Mamá!" Bruno said and ran out of the room.

"I'm not letting you go into town alone!" Catherine responded.

"Go, I'll stay with Abuela," Dolores said. "I'll explain everything to her."

"Please, do," Abuela said with a scowl.

Catherine followed Bruno, but once they reached the stairs, Bruno got the sudden, forceful, splitting headache from his eyes across his head.

"No," he grunted.

"Bruno!" Catherine exclaimed as his feet slipped from under him. Casita slid him softly down to the ground.

Catherine dropped to her knees beside Bruno.

Félix and Agustín had been sweeping the courtyard and Antonio was standing in the doorway.

"Tío Bruno?" Antonio asked.