Chapter Two: Foreigner

The next day after Bruno had his vision of his future love, Dolores was in the village with Mariano, babysitting Antonio. Dolores hated being in the village, the sounds surrounded her. But Antonio was persistent. It was easier for her, with Mariano there to distract her.

Dolores froze, listening when she heard something out of the ordinary.

"Dolores?" Antonio said.

"Mi amor, what do you hear?" Mariano asked.

Walking on rocks... stumbling more like it. Coming from the crack in the mountain.

Was she here already? Dolores thought. She hadn't planned anything with her Tío, but she had to do something.

Especially when Dolores heard her feet slip and she fell. She didn't get back up.

"Antonio, someone is coming through the crack," Dolores said.

"Someone from outside the encanto?" Mariano asked.

"She's harmless but she's hurt and needs help."

"Parce can go get her, right boy?" Antonio said.

"But we can't take her to the casita, Abuela will have a fit."

"My hermana just finished her house on the edge of the village. She hasn't moved into it yet. It's empty now," Mariano offered.

"Yes! Antonio?"

"Parce?" Antonio turned to the jaguar that always followed him.

The jaguar nodded before sprinting off.

"I need to get some of tía's arepas. Mariano, can you take Antonio to your hermana's house. I'll meet you there."

"Are you sure, mi amor? She's from outside the encanto, she might be dangerous," Mariano said.

"She's not," Dolores said with a soft smile. She will be my Tía one day! "Tío saw it. Please. Tell no one. Not yet. I'll be there soon."

Mariano nodded and Dolores ran back towards Casita.

Dolores found her Tía in the kitchen, cooking.

"Tía, I need some of these," Dolores said.

"They're for the village, Dolores. What's happened? Is anyone hurt?" Julieta asked.

Dolores listened for Abuela... who was in the village. So it was safe.

"She's here," Dolores said and squeaked in excitement.

"She's here?" Julieta repeated. Confused about who Dolores was talking about.

"You should tell Tío Bruno. She's here," Dolores said. "And she's hurt. I need these. Thank you, Tía!"

"She's here? Already?" Julieta gasped.

"She's collapsed in the mountain. Parce is picking her up," Dolores said.

Dolores began running out of Casita.

"Hermana?" Camilo called from his window. "Where are you taking those?"

Camilo jumped from his window. Casita eased him onto the ground.

"I'll explain on the way, come on," Dolores said.

As they hurried through the village, Dolores updated her little brother on everything she knew.

"Why are we not telling Abuela?" Camilo asked when they arrived.

"Because Abuela will ask her to be removed from the village, Camilo," Dolores said as Mariano opened the door for them. "We want her to stay. For Tío. For our future cousins."