Chapter 14

My heart beat steadily as I lifted a Starbucks cup to my lips. I tilted the cup to let the liquid drip into my mouth. It touched my tongue sending a sensation like a razor blade cutting it from the burning pain I felt. But it tasted too good to stop.

I brought my cup down to see Gerard downing his faster than the running pace of a cheetah. Mikey was doing the same thing. I hadn't had coffee in ages and it felt amazing.

"Slow down or you'll end up with a burned up mouth like me." I giggled at seeing coffee trickle down Mikey's chin.

Mikey reluctantly brought his down from his lips and Gerard did the same.

"I-I'm sorry," Gerard stuttered. "It's just that we haven't had a cup of coffee in ages."

I smiled. "Of course you haven't. I've seen you drink coffee normally before. I'd hope that's not how you drink it when I'm not around."

Gerard smiled sheepishly at Mikey.

"Oh God Gerard." I laughed. "Well I think you're perfect either way."

He gave me that smile that was worth more than a million dollars to see. His teeth glimmered in the soft hospital lighting. I couldn't help but feel a returning smile spread across my face.

It was dark out now. The sun had settled down into the horizon to bring day to someone else. The only light source in my hospital room was a dim lamp in the corner which left the room at a golden glow.

I heard four knocks on my hospital door suddenly.

"Come in!" I called.

The door opened shakily while squeaking to reveal a nurse shaking quickly. What could've gotten her so shaken up? Her pale blue eyes looked lifeless in the lighting.

"S-Scarlett, your health has i-improved a lot in the past few days. A-according to observations, y-you can be released in the week." she stumbled.

As soon as she had gotten her message out, she slammed the door shut behind her..

I looked into Gerard's eyes. "Home." I smiled at the word rolling through the creases in my lips.

"Except it's not exactly home, your home was with your mom." Mikey pointed out.

"My home is with Gerard. He is my family and he is who I belong with." I answered.

Mikey just nodded.

"So I have somewhat bad news." Gerard said dimming the conversation.

It couldn't have been that bad no matter what it was. I'd already been through the equivalents of Hell.

"You have to retake senior year." he sighed. "And I've got to get an education somehow."

I shut my eyes tight. "Why do I have to retake senior year?"

"You've been to school maybe five times the whole semester. You came until you learned of the pregnancy then quit. You stayed home for a long time and then you lost your baby, lost yourself, and lost your mom. After the funeral in March, I sent you off to the mental institution. You were there for roughly a month and when you got out, you where out cold for four days. You've been here about a week and a half. Today is April 23. There's only about a month of school left."

I shoved my face in my hands. This couldn't be happening. "Where are you going for school?"

"I-I want to go to the Maryland Institute College Of Art. They have a good program." He responded. "I've been working really hard throughout highschool for scholarships. I've got it half payed for just in scholarships."

I was suddenly proud of Gerard. Scholarships weren't easy to earn. He was so intelligent and great at everything. But Maryland was a long ways from New Jersey.

"Oh, Gerard, I'm so proud of you. You've worked so hard. It's just that it's a few hours driving time and we won't see each other much." I sighed. "But I want you to go regardless of what happens between us over this. Your education means the world to me. You've worked too hard to give all this up. I'm so proud of you. You deserve like a gold metal for best human ever." I slowly uncovered my face from my hands.

Gerard let out a sigh. "Maybe you don't have to say goodbye. Maybe we can figure out a way to get you your highschool diploma by the end of first semester of this coming school year. Maybe I can marry you by next Christmas and you can come back to Maryland with me."

I smiled a little bit at that. Married to Gerard within a year and living on the streets of Baltimore with him. Waking up every morning to being tangled in Gerard's caring arms. Living each day in the light of his eyes. Gerard would be my future somehow.

Then it hit me. This was an art college he was going to. He never told me he liked art.

"Gerard! You never told me you liked Art!" I practically yelled at him.

Gerard smiled sheepishly. A rush of colorful blood rushed to his cheeks. "Oh..."

"Has he never shown you his drawings and stuff?" Mikey asked in shock.

"Nope." I replied popping the "p".

"I uh... It's private." he said quickly.

"Please!" I begged.

"Oh just show them to her or I will." Mikey threatened.

Gerard slowly reached into the inside of his jacket and pulled out a small leather bound sketch book. His hands shook as he held out the book to me.

I grasped it and cautiously opened it to the first page.

The first drawing was of an arm. It appeared female and was covered in light scars of lines. Near the arm was a pair of lips headed for the scars.

I smiled a little at remembering that day.

The next picture was of a boy which appeared to be Gerard. Monstery shadows crowded around him and he appeared to be drowning.

The next seven pages were similar to that and dark.

After that, I saw a girl that looked exactly like me with hair swirling all around me and my blue eyes looking up depicting me in water.

I then turned the page to see a girl who's face was shadowed by her hair concealing her identity. She sat helplessly beside a pool of crimson blood. There was an arm drenched in blood lying in the puddle as well.

I turned the page again to see me being dragged out of Gerard's car with tears streaming down my cheeks and my mouth open as If I were screaming.

I quickly shut the book. I didn't want to see anymore. "Oh Gerard, it was beautiful."

I smiled at him. Suddenly the bed beneath me became more than comfortable. I slowly felt myself drift in and out of consciousness and I was soon drifting off to sleep.

******
Sorry this update is a little late. I've had a lot of writers block and I have also been working on something new.