18 - Sometimes I Think

Gemi

Gemi

As expected, Princess Insanity is displeased. She frowns at me slightly as I think this.

"Did you just call me Princess Insanity?" she asks.

"Uh ... yes—" Did I say that out loud?

"Shut up," threatens one of the guys and they start discussing.

I figure that nickname will make Vienna upset, but her lips twitch into a grin. What happened to the old Vienna? The Vienna who'd note snobbishly that there's a speck of dirt on my sleeve?

"I like it," she says, "and I'm calling you Creepy One because you stare too much."

From behind me, Taurus drawls, "I can see where that nickname comes from."

I scowl at the brown-haired boy, "And you are a stalker."

"Just quiet," Taurus says. We're making idle chit-chat, but we're all focused on Miasma, who's scratching the back of her head. As soon as she raises her middle finger, we're running. I know, not the best signal, but it was Leo's idea and Caprice liked it, shocking because Caprice does not like Leo either. So did Ari, so since the bosses approved that was that.

She twitches her middle finger and Nia jumps slightly. Vienna doesn't move, but she's definitely seen it. Ari makes a very important face and Sagittaria rolls her eyes as if she wants to slap his face. Leo taps on his knees nervously.

I focus even harder on the back of Miasma's head, squinting. I might need glasses, but whatever.

And then Miasma's middle finger sticks straight up as Guy #1 turns his back on her to snap at Guy #2.

I jump to my feet, trip, and probably skin my knees, but Caprice pulls me up ... Caprice? Queen Sarcasm? The Soulless One? Last I checked I wasn't Taurus, so she definitely hates me.

I don't have time to think about that as we make a break for a thin line of trees. Back in the woods. Again.

I can hear Ari distantly yelling, "LINK HANDS!"

Everything is a blur as I sprint as fast as I can, Caprice still manages to drag me along. Her glasses don't even slip, a miracle.

Taurus grabs Caprice's hand and Ari snatches my other hand and Leo snatches Ari's hand and Sagittaria holds on to Leo —

"I'm teleporting!" calls Miasma, "in three—"

"No. You are not," says the voice of Guy #2. Something cold brushes against my skin and I'm thrown onto my back.

I gasp and cough for breath as the voice continues, "We'll have to take you in."

Slowly, I become aware that I'm awake. I'm aware that I'm lying on my back on something soft, but wet cold seeps in.

I open my eyes a crack. My head is pounding. For a moment, I can't remember anything but waking up in my bed ... and I panic.