Part 5

NEW's POV

We found out the sex of the baby when I was twenty weeks pregnant. Tay had been hesitant to find out at first, believing that keeping it a secret until the delivery would be so much more fun and that it wouldn't affect anything anyhow. But, while I agreed with my husband that the gender of the baby would make no difference since we both agreed to raise our children without gender norms or prejudices, I was far too eager to find out. Ultimately, I pouted, and the argument that since I was the one carrying the baby, I should have the last say won Tay over.

When the doctor stated she could tell the baby's sex and asked if we wanted to know what we'd be having at our twenty-week checkup, I asked her to write it down instead, as per my best friend's request.

Gun had been pushing me to let him give me a gender reveal party since our friends and family found out we were expecting. I reluctantly let up after many phone calls spent presenting his arguments, as well as a few texts to Tay to get him on board.

As I stepped out into our backyard on what had started as a peaceful Saturday, I almost immediately regretted my decision. We'd been fortunate with a beautiful weekend, and our friends had been decorating our backyard all morning, slowly turning it into a pink and blue nightmare.

But he's my best friend, and I knew he was delighted to be a part of it, so I feigned a grin as we stepped outside, gripping Tay's hand a little too tightly. Both of our families were present, as were some of our closest friends, and I knew I'd have a good time despite the dreadful decorations.

"He really outdid himself," I said with a chuckle as I looked around me, smiling gratefully when Tay pulled out a chair for me.

Although I was only halfway through my pregnancy, I already had a noticeable bump. I was a little concerned about my size since I don't recall my mom becoming this big this early in any of her pregnancies, but the doctor assured me at my last appointment that I was a normal size for my stage of pregnancy. However, I could still feel the baby's weight on my lower back and hips, and I'll be eternally thankful to my husband for constantly watching out for me and going out of his way to make sure I was comfortable.

~*~*~*~

I had been chatting with our moms and Tay's sister for a while when I noticed Tay sitting with his father a little further away. I took a break from my current conversation, figuring the ladies wouldn't mind some girl talk for a while, and tried to follow Tay and his father's exchange.

"How did you do it when Muk was a baby?"  Tay asked his dad, a deep frown adorning his face. "Like, how did you know when she cried? Or how to talk to her?"

When the older man reassuringly patted his son on the back before speaking, I smiled. "I'm not going to lie son, it wasn't always easy."

I saw my husband deflate even more at his dad's words. "But we made it work. Your mom had a regular baby monitor while I had a vibrating one that I kept under my pillow at night, kinda like an alarm clock, so I could tell when she cried at night. During the day, I learned to tell what she needed by her expressions. It took some adjusting, but it worked out in the end. It was the same with you,"  his dad said with a smile. "Even though your sister didn't need it, we taught her sign language so we could all communicate as a family. We figured it out, and I know you will too, Tay."

"New!" Gun shouted from behind me, prompting me to snap my head up to look at him, blushing as he caught me eavesdropping on my husband's conversation with his dad. "Are you ready for the reveal now?"

I smiled and nodded, my tummy churning with anticipation at the idea of knowing the sex of our kid in a matter of minutes. "I'll get Tay," I said gingerly as I got up.