Part 4

NEW's POV

"Babe, will you please stop that,? It's driving me insane," I said, motioning to the leg Tay had been nervously bouncing for the past five minutes.

It has been almost two weeks since we found out about the baby, and we'd been sitting in the obstetrician's waiting room for our first prenatal checkup. 

"Sorry, just a little nervous," Tay muttered, pausing the movement and reaching across to take my left hand in his.

He had become much more involved and supportive about everything after his initial reaction to the news. We took the afternoon off from work to attend the appointment, and while I appreciated Tay's company, he was fidgety and nervous to the point of driving me mad.

"New Techaapaikhun-Vihokratana," a nurse said, and Tay followed behind after I got up to follow her.

She led us to a small room where she measured and weighed me while Tay sat in an uncomfortable plastic chair off to the side. She quickly left after finishing, assuring Tay and me that the doctor will be with us soon, and telling me to get on the bed. I complied, giving Tay a slight pout as I dragged myself up onto the small bed.

"What's wrong, love?"  Tay asked, furrowing his brows.

"I've already gained four pounds,"  I mumbled grumpily as I signed.

Tay gave a soft laugh and reached over to take my hand, kissing the back of it. "All for a good cause, right?"

Before I could respond, the door slammed shut behind me. I signed along with the doctor's words as she introduced herself.

"Do you have any idea how far along you are?" she asked, a friendly smile on her face as I shrugged sheepishly. "That's alright. I'm going to do an ultrasound, see if we can figure that out."

She told me to lie fully flat on my back and lift my shirt, then squirted some gel over my still-flat lower tummy. Tay smiled as I jumped slightly at the coldness of it. The screen was initially turned away from us as the doctor studied examined it, and I bit my lower lip as I waited for her to show us our baby.

"By the looks of things, I'd say you're in your tenth week right now," she said, finally flipping the screen around and pointing to the small fetus on the screen.

"Are they healthy?" I asked, my eyes welling up with emotions as I took my first look at our baby on the monitor.

"So far, everything appears to be in order," the doctor said, and Tay breathed a sigh of relief as I signed her response for him. "Would you like to hear the heartbeat?"

I watched as Tay's face fell as we realized this was one of those things he wouldn't be able to do. For a brief moment, I considered declining to show Tay that we were genuinely in this together. But, in the end, I nodded, reaching for his hand as the doctor flipped a switch. The room was filled with a noise, and it took a few seconds for the sound to clear up enough for me to hear the baby's quick heartbeat.

"It's really fast," I said aloud as I tapped my thumb against the back of my husband's hand, imitating the rapid rhythm of the baby's heartbeat. It took him a little longer to figure out what I was up to, but as soon as he did, his face lit up with a huge grin.

"Is that them?" he asked with the other hand, his own eyes starting to tear up when I nodded. "Thank you."

We exchanged teary smiles as if we were in our own little world for a minute or two.

"I'll get some pictures printed for you two, and then we'll talk for a bit," she finally said as she switched off the machine and handed me a few tissues to wipe my tummy clean before exiting the room.