Chapter Two: Encounters

Rhona looked around the hotel bar and took in her surroundings, nothing had changed at all while she'd been away! Her bar was just as she left it! As she stocked up the fridges and turned on the gases in the cellar, she thought about her twenty sixth birthday party and Jamie's big surprise. How surprising the rest of her life with him turned out to be. Lachie appeared and plonked himself onto a bar stool, folding his arms and placing them on the bar with a dull thud sighing all the way. "What's up Lachie?" Rhona enquired as she inspected a wine glass by holding it up to one of the spotlights on the ceiling.

"It's nuthin'!" he muttered, but she knew her brother, something was bothering him.

"Come on spill!" she insisted as he smiled gratefully at her and began to tell her what was on his mind.

"It's that Yank fae number 49!"

"Lachie don't call him that, it's disrespectful!" she frowned, "What about him?" still not looking up from her inspection, Rhona pushed Lachie for answers despite not being remotely interested. He had mentioned something last night about an American who checked into one of the rooms, room 49 to be exact, and how the poor bloke got on his nerves. Rhona knew Lachie could be quite unbearable with people, especially if they weren't from Scotland...or the UK for that matter. He wasn't keen on Americans after spending time over there in Topeka, Kansas with their Uncle Rory, what had happened over there she didn't know but it involved a bunch of boys mocking Lachie's accent and he didn't stay there for long. Lachie continued with his worries.

"Well, he's a bit strange de ye no think?"

"I haven't met him Lachie I can't really judge the man before I get to know him. And neither can you, okay? He's a guest in the hotel, he's paying for the privilege, so be nice!" Rhona scolded him as he sighed once again.

"He needs a haircut, and a new pair a jeans! And..."

"Lachlan James Peter Boyle!!!" Rhona growled, "Leave him ALONE!"

"Awright! But if am right aboot this dunderheid, and am no aften wrang wee yin, a expect a grovellin' apology fae you! Right?" It was now Rhona's turn to sigh.

"Right, okay! But promise me you'll try and be nice to him? Just...try?"

"Aye, aye awright there's nae need tae go on aboot it!" Rhona let out an exasperated laugh, it was Lachie who wouldn't stop about this guy!

***

Annie Boyle had arranged a small get together with some of Rhona's old friends, as she wrote out the menu she wanted she was reminded of the engagement party. That would have been the last time they had all been together, she stopped writing and stared at the wall in front of her. Thinking about what Jamie McGregor did to her daughter made her blood boil, as she twisted a strand of her brown hair round her finger she realised that Rhona had had a lucky escape! Jamie was a rat, and not good enough for her, no this was a celebration in itself! She stood up and took the menu downstairs to Mary and Agnes. As she headed down the corridor she was met with a pair of dazzling blue eyes as she almost collided with someone, a young man. "Oh, sorry son a wisnae lookin' where I wiz goin'!" she shook her head clear of the cobwebs and laughed, but the laugh stuck in her throat when she looked at the young man's face, he was beautiful!

"No worries ma'am, neither was I!" he half bowed and flashed a mouthful of perfect teeth surrounded by rather attractive facial hair.

"You're...American?" she smiled back bashfully.

"Yeah, yes ma'am. Florida!"

"Oh, very nice. I'll bet it's awfy cold here eh?" the man laughed softly and looked at his shoes.