Story 3: Who knew finding your true self could be so hard?

Ariel are you sure you want to go with me?’ I asked unsure of what to do. She had found out my plans of running away and now she wanted to come. Well not exactly run away more like move out at a young age. My parents are actually helping me so yeah.

‘Yes, things are rough at home. Mom is signing a divorce soon and my father will become more abusive to me when she’s gone. Please let me go with you.’ She said close to tears. I sighed.

‘Alright but we need to start planning our excuse story.’ I said pulling out a note pad and pencil. She smiled and hugged me.

‘Thank you so much!’ she squealed and I started writing questions on the paper for her to answer.

‘I need you to answer all these questions the way people know you as not how you are on the inside.’ I said ripping the paper out and handing it to her. She nodded in understanding and I started writing how people know me now.

Name: Alexis

Favorite color: Pink

Sports: Head Cheerleader

Hair color: Short black hair

Color eyes: Green

I sighed and put the pencil down. This wasn’t me, this was my parents. I hate the color pink and I hate cheerleading. My parents wouldn’t let me express myself the way I am so we agreed if I get good grades all throughout middle school I can leave. I’m moving out to be my own person.

I was adopted by a rich couple who was told by the doctor they couldn’t have children. Two years later they end up having a child. A couple months later they have another child on the way and their twins! One year later they have their last child and then they realize they never needed to adopt a child.

They would’ve given the child back to the orphanage but they pitied me. So I stayed but I was ordered to do everything. They even made me have horrible grades so their blood children could be called smarter. My “mother” makes me dress like a slut so everyone can talk bad about me and not her actual children.

I even have another last name so no one knows were siblings, even if we’re not blood related. So when I asked to leave they didn’t contain their happiness but jumped for joy. Since my family is pretty wealthy I have to wear expensive clothes but I hate it. I have no real friends besides Ariel because we both share one thing in common. We have to pretend we’re someone else and we’re sick of it.

Ariel gave me the questions back answered and I nodded my head dismissively.

‘I’ll buy everything we need and we’ll leave during our freshmen year but in the middle somewhere.’ I said and she looked at me confused.

‘What can I do to help?’ she asked and I looked at her trying to think of something.

‘Study hard and get a job so you can raise money for our school text books. We’ll be doing one year of homeschooling then we’ll start back in school during our junior year.’ I explained as the bell rang signaling the end of the day. She nodded as we got up and left Study Hall and leave to go home.

‘Wait what’s the sign that means we leave?’ Ariel called out before I left the school building. I thought for a second then I called back to her.

‘RAT!’ I yelled then left getting weird stares but soon it wouldn’t matter. I could be my own person without anyone caring. I could finally be me. RAT meant running away today. Only she and I would know that and no one would suspect a thing.

One year later…….

I walked to my sports locker and smiled. Today was the day. The day I and Ariel would run away from home together. Eh that sounded really weird. Anyways, I texted Ariel.

Eww Ariel I heard we were going to dissect a RAT in science soon.

I closed my phone then walked to my car waiting for her to get the message. A couple minutes later I got a text back.

That is so gross.

I saw Ariel come out of the building and I drove to her and she got in the car.

‘How did you get a car we’re 15 years old.’ She asked and I smirked at her.

‘Parents.’ Was all I said and we left to go to my house.

It was pretty early so everyone should still be at school and work. We drove to my parents mansion and we ran to my room. My parents don’t believe in maids, butlers or chefs so no one should be at home right now.

We got to my room and walked to my bathroom. I handed Ariel our part time wigs and her contacts. I put on my long black hair wig and put on eyeliner and mascara. I walked to my closet and dug all the way to the back of my closet and grabbed my clothes and backpack. I gave Ariel her clothes and we changed into outfits that fit us.

I put on red skinny jeans and a black shirt that says: I am who I am.  I put on black and white converse and looked in the mirror smiling. This is who I am and now I can always be that way. Ariel walked out smiling wearing pink skinnes and a t-shirt with Hello Kitty on it. I gave her gray converse and a packpack with close she likes that I bought and some coming from my own closet.

I heard the moving truck come and I ran downstairs. I opened the door before the guy could knock on the door. I handed him the piece of paper with my new address and closed the door. I grabbed my bag and Arielle grabbed hers.

‘Are you sure you want to leave.’ I asked and she looked at me and smirked.

‘Hell ya,’ and with that we were off to be the real us.

(8 hours later)

We finally pulled into our complex and I smiled. We pulled into a one story house and I parked. It was about ten and the moving truck people were unloading. Ariel and I got out of the car and directed the guys where to put the furniture. We had already started moving the night before so there were only boxes of the things I bought to start our own look.

We even painted our rooms already. I went to my room and changed into basketball shorts and a Asking Alexandria T-Shirt.  Ariel looked dead tired and I tossed her a key. She caught it but looked confused.

‘I’m going exploring,’ I said and she looked at me like I grew two heads.

‘At ten at night,’ she said in a disbelieving voice and I nodded. She sighed.

‘I’m going to finish unpacking and go to sleep since we have school tomorrow.’ She said.

‘I’m locking the door on my way out’ I yelled walking out the door. The truck driver came up to me and I reached to my pocket and gave him his money and he left. I walked down the road and started walking.

I eventually ended up sprinting and I laughed carefree for the first time in life. I kept running and did a cartwheel followed by a back handspring and a whip back and I ended up in a good position to keep running after I did this.

For once I was glad for my parents putting me in cheerleading that way I was also able to learn gymnastics.

Apparently I didn’t get very far running after my gymnastics stunt. I ended up crashing into someone causing both of us to go down.

I opened my eyes and rubbed my eyes. My eyes nearly came out of my eye sockets from seeing the hottest guy I’ve ever seen. He had pale ivory skin but had that slight tan that made me feel normal from my really pale skin. His dark brown eyes trapped me then I realized I had fell on top of his lap and I felt my cheeks flame. I got up quickly and felt my heart pick up as he snapped out of his deep thought.

‘Sorry,’ I said and started backing up slowly I turned and started jogging back towards my house but I felt a warm hand grab my wrist.

‘You can’t just leave like that.’ He said and I gulped. I twisted my wrist out of his grip and sprinted away. I don’t know why I just panicked! I felt the wind whip my hair back and my wig fell off. I cursed and realized he wasn’t that far behind. I left my wig there and ran straight to my house and unlocked the door then shut it quietly remembering Ariel was asleep.

I walked to my room and went to my bathroom. I took a shower and put on a black t-shirt and white sweats. I crawled into my bed and drifted to sleep.