Conjuring House info

The True Story Of The Conjuring: The Perron Family And Enfield Haunting

https://allthatsinteresting.com/true-story-of-the-conjuring-perron-family-enfield-haunting

By Katie Serena | Checked By John Kuroski

Published October 16, 2021
Updated February 18, 2022

The actual true story of The Conjuring, namely the Perron family and Enfield haunting, is scarier than the movies themselves.

When The Conjuring was released in 2013, it was met with critical acclaim. Critics everywhere praised it for its all-too-realistic portrayal of the demonic haunting of an innocent family in Rhode Island.

Most viewers assumed that the movie was nothing but the wild imaginings of director James Wan. However, the true story of The Conjuring is actually rooted in a horrifying true experience of Ed and Lorraine Warren.

The True Story Of The Conjuring
Ed Warren was a World War 2 veteran and a former police officer who became a self-professed demonologist after studying the subject on his own. His wife, Lorraine, claimed to be a clairvoyant and medium who was capable of communicating with the demons that Ed discovered.

In 1952, Ed and Lorraine founded the New England Society for Psychic Research, the oldest ghost hunting group in New England. They quickly gained notoriety as respected paranormal investigators after their initial investigation of the Amityville hauntings.

Their two most famous cases, however, were heavily popularized by the Conjuring franchise, a series of movies that focused on Ed and Lorraine’s experiences exercising demons from two possessed families.

Though the movies seem over-dramatized and impossible to believe, the Warrens maintain that all of the events depicted actually transpired. Though Ed died in 2006, Lorraine was a consultant on the film and claims that she didn’t let the directors take any more dramatic license than was necessary.

Nevertheless, the true story of The Conjuring remains almost unbelievably chilling to this day.

The True Story Of The Conjuring: The Perron Family

The true story of The Conjuring begins with the first film, which focuses on the Perron family.

In January 1971, the Perron family moved into a 14-room farmhouse in Harrisville, Rhode Island, where Carolyn, Roger, and their five daughters began to notice strange things happening almost immediately after they moved in.

It started small. Carolyn would notice that the broom went missing or seemed to move from place to place on its own. She would hear the sound of something scraping against the kettle in the kitchen when no one was in there. She’d find small piles of dirt in the center of a newly cleaned kitchen floor.

The girls began to notice spirits around the house, though for the most part, they were harmless. There were a few, however, that were angry.

Carolyn allegedly researched the history of the home and discovered that it had been in the same family for eight generations and that many of them had died under mysterious or horrible circumstances. Several of the children had drowned in a nearby creek; one was murdered, and a few of them hanged themselves in the attic.

The spirit that was depicted in the film Bathsheba was the worst of them all.

Whoever the spirit was, she perceived herself to be mistress of the house, and she resented the competition my mother posed for that position,” said Andrea Perron, the oldest of the five girls.
L