Ruses and Right Hooks

A few days later, the night before the ball

     Dinner at the Bridgerton household is anything but "normal" all nine of the children are seated at the table, with their mother at one head and Anthony at the other. Unknowingly to all the siblings, the Duke of Hastings was coming to dinner that very night. Violet and Lady Danbury had concocted a plan to have the Duke over for dinner the night of the opera. Both women believe that the Duke and Daphne can make an excellent match, to prove to dear Lady Whistledown that Simon isn't simply a rake and that Daphne isn't ' a diamond that has lost its luster'.

Over the course of the few days both of the eldest Bridgerton girls had entertained callers, Daphne more so than Cassandra. Although Cassandra was the 'crown jewel' she was older than Daphne, and the gentleman preferred their debutantes to be a bit younger in age. And besides, the men Cassandra had entertained was nothing compared to George. He came by on occasion as a caller to Cassandra, but also to be with Colin. The pair of men seemed to enjoy going to White's with Benedict and Anthony, and would spend a good amount of time there.

   Although Daphne had entertained some rather interesting callers, some were shooed away by Anthony's extremely overbearing and entirely overprotective personality; but others seemed to gravitate towards the Featherington house as they called upon Miss. Thompson. But one caller that seemed to be there was of course, bumbling idiotic Nigel Berbrooke. Daphne thought entertaining him for a short while was dreadful, apparently so was the dinner.

  Daphne and the Duke were seated to Cassandra's left, with Colin on her right and Benedict across from her. The Bridgerton dining table was always abuzz with laughter, chatter, and the occasional bickering; and the eldest five seated so close to each other contributed to most of the chatter. Benedict always engaged Cassandra in the topic of art, the pair would always sit outside  in the back of the house; Benedict would sit on the tree swing and sketch while Cassandra would sit on a stool to paint. Both siblings had raw talent, and they knew it. They itched to become better artists, and have become each other's teachers.

Life with Colin has never been boring. He has always found a way to make Cassandra smile, as twins they have been so empathetic towards one another and have known just what the other needs; and Colin truly genuinely loves Cassandra just as much as she loves him. They always have stuck together, they've played together, have eating contests together, sing together, and even annoy Anthony together. Cassandra truly could not have asked for a better brother to grow up with.

   Anthony, oh dear Anthony. Easy to annoy, but also easy to debate with. Anthony and Cassandra get into plenty of heated debates, both individuals so hot headed that none of them do not like to back down. The spats could be about horse racing or even the weather, neither of them like to admit defeat. Looking out at the rest of the table, the rest of the siblings were engaged in conversation except Anthony, who was attempting to hone in on the conversation between Daphne and the Duke. Sweet Daphne, the sister closest in age to Cassandra, the two girls enjoyed discussing dresses and loved to play the pianoforte together. The sweet and timid Daphne Cassandra knew was not sitting at the dinner table tonight.

   Daphne and the Duke had been at odds throughout the evening,which of course Cassandra took notice of. Without attempting to eavesdrop, Cassandra picked up the words 'chaste' and ' rake' from the mouths of Daphne and the Duke, Daphne's voice slightly escalating as she continued to talk intensely. Tuning out the conversation of her younger sister, Cassandra looked around the table at the rest of her siblings and smiled contently; thankful to have such a family such as hers.

The next evening

Tonight's ball at Vauxhall is all the ton could discuss during the day. Rumors of fire, dancers, all the pomp and circumstance swirled about the city. Everyone in the Bridgerton household looked forward to the event, especially Cassandra— as she was able to don a beautiful shade of red for tonight's fete. Her beautiful gown was accompanied by all of the "necessary" accessories a girl might want, all of them gold with rubies that matched beautifully. Her attire was completely outside of the family colors, but would definitely put her in favor with Lady Danbury Cassandra rather thought.