Chapter 4 - Grandma

Luca's POV:
*What Luca did before meeting Alberto at the end of the last chapter* (basically a time jump back when Luca arrived at his home after saying goodbye to Alberto)

...

I finished my drawing rather quickly since I wanted to go back and hang out with Alberto. I'm not that artistic like Al, but I hope he likes it either way.

The drawing was of me and him on top of his tower on the island. Set at night, we were on our backs next to each other, pointing at the stars above us. I can picture Alberto calling them "fishes" instead of "stars."

At the thought of this, I giggled quietly to myself. I'll tell him all about the stars one day...

I looked over at the clock that sat on top of my dresser to check the time.

1:44 pm

I set the drawing on another desk that was on the left of my bed, taking one final glance at the art piece I made. I rolled over onto my back, staring at the roof of my room. Out of nowhere, a rush of thoughts entered my head.

My eyes darted back and forth between the corners of the ceiling. "Do I really like him, more than a friend? But what if I don't and I'm just acting like how a best friend acts? But then again, I do get really nervous around him. Maybe I should tell him what I'm feeling? What if he's feeling the same too?! Wait- I highly doubt tha-."

I stop talking to myself when suddenly, I heard a small cough coming from the entrance of my room. Immediately, I turn my head around and see my grandma looking at me with a sly look written on her face. My eyes widened as the sudden realization dawned on me:

She heard everything.

"Bubbles, you outta know that these walls are almost paper thin. I heard your little mini rant from the kitchen and thought I outta spare you from exposing yourself even more." she announced.

"Ah- sorry about that grandma." I sat myself up and tried to the mask the embarrassment on my face.

Wait, if she heard me from the kitchen. Did my parents also...

I gasped loudly, which started grandma a bit.

"Did Mom and Dad hear me too?!" There was a noticeable sense of urgency in my voice. If mom and dad knew I was talking about a guy like this... Oh jeez.

Thankfully, she understood what I meant from both my worried expression and voice. "No sweetie they didn't hear you talking about Alberto. I sent them outside to get some kelp to make kelp wraps." she said while now leaning against the door.

I put my hand on my chest with a loud exhale leaving my mouth as relief washed over me.

"Grandma, how'd you know I was talking about Alberto..." I asked quietly with a puzzled look on my face. I never said his name, so how in the sea did she know who I was talking about?

She raised her eyebrows slightly. "Oh bubbles, I knew you had feelings for Alberto ever since you introduced him to us." A small smirked started to form on her face while I blushed even more with embarrassment.

It's one thing to have a crush on your best friend. It's another to have your grandma know all about it.

Grandma was always laid back and I considered her to be my best friend growing up. Not to say that my parents were bad or anything, but they always tried to keep me too close for comfort.

Why? Maybe because I was their only child. My mom especially is super controlling but I know she has good intentions. Grandma was the one who calmed her down or convinced her to let me do my own things.