#2: Unexpected Encounters

┏━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━┓
Chapter Two
2
Unexpected Encounters
┗━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━┛

┏━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━┓Chapter Two第2章Unexpected Encounters┗━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━┛

"What's got you two so distracted from your training?"

The young man stood before the group, his broad shoulders squared, arms crossed over his chest as he waited for an explanation from Matsuda and Hagiwara. He was unusually tall and broad for a Japanese man, his stance and serious expression sending a chill down everyone's spine—everyone except Asami.

Ironically, she knew the young man standing before her very well.

Hagiwara chimed in, "Ah, Squad Leader Date! We were just chatting with our good friend Asami here. She came to visit me and Jinpei-chan because she missed us." He then draped his arm around Asami's shoulder, pulling her closer to him.

Asami was slightly taken aback by Hagiwara's seamless lie, impressed by how effortlessly he could deceive without giving himself away.

Date turned to Asami, his gaze sharp as he assessed her for a moment. Then, with a genuine smile, he remarked, "Well, well, look who's back. How have you been, Asami? It's good to see you again. I didn't know you were friends with Hagiwara and Matsuda."

Asami chuckled and playfully remarked, "You know, Kenji-kun and Matsuda here have been my friends for ages. Am I right, Kenji-kun?" She tilted her head slightly to look at Hagiwara.

Hagiwara laughed and agreed, "Absolutely! The three of us have been best friends forever, and Asami is a very close friend."

Meanwhile, Matsuda stood beside his friend, visibly annoyed by Hagiwara's behavior and how he was taking advantage of the situation to get closer to Asami. He muttered to himself, "Why am I even friends with him?"

Date leaned forward, curiosity gleaming in his eyes. "Are you here visiting, Asami?"

Asami's gaze met his, a soft smile playing on her lips. "No, I've actually moved back to Tokyo. Got a great job offer."

Date's face lit up with genuine delight. "That's fantastic news! Congratulations! It'll be great to have you back. We'll have to catch up more now that you're here."

Hagiwara, who had been listening intently, couldn't contain his surprise any longer. "Wait, you two know each other?" he blurted out, his eyebrows shooting up in disbelief.

Asami nodded with a smile. "Wataru and I have known each other for quite some time now." She paused, about to continue, "We actually got introduced to each other through—"

But before she could finish, Date quickly interjected, "A friend! We know each other through a mutual friend."

Asami felt a twinge of confusion. The mutual friend between them was none other than Natalie, Date's girlfriend. She couldn't understand why Date chose to omit this information, but she decided not to press further. Asami was certain that Date must have had a good reason for not mentioning his relationship status.