Chapter 14

Fall of 1999

Education.

That’s the reason why she left the streets. Yes, it made her strong, but there were things she had to learn—things that only schools could give.

She found it at St. Catherine. They bought her story about her amnesia—they still do.

She’s grateful for the busy system because until now, Kyla Howard was missing.

She had to get everything she could until the right time came.

March 30, 2011 (8:00am)

“Give me something good,” Chief Carter said at the two of them.

“We believe the green-eyed killing is a serial one,” Tanaka began. “And we believe that she’s out killing for justice.” She briefed him of what they finally came up yesterday.

“It’s the daughter?”

“Yes,” Lawson answered, “She has motive. She witnessed so much that could have caused a traumatic experience only that it made her want to seek out justice. We also believe the Peter Thomas case was a cover-up for something and that the killer is aware of that, thus the killing. She’s hunting everyone involved in the cover-up.”

“Do you have physical proof the daughter is our killer?”

“No, not yet. We just acquired Kyla Howard’s dental records when she was three and the lab’s working on matching them with the DNA sample we got from the kiss marks. We will have the results tomorrow or the day after.”

“Then we better wait for the damn results before you say anything else. And let me know the moment the results come in.”

“Yes, sir.”

“How about this cover-up? Do you have something to prove that such thing happened? Because this is just fucking too incredible to begin with.”

“As a matter of fact, sir, we do,” Tanaka said, handing him a folder. “This is from the interview I had with Leonard Carlson the day before yesterday.”

“Why didn’t you give me this right away? I told you to update me on this case every fucking day!”

“We had to check his statement out before we can,” Tanaka answered.

“What is this about?” Carter asked, waving the folder.

“Leonard Carlson as you know by now—”

“I know who he is, Detective Tanaka, so skip the prologue.”

“He admitted to the cover-up,” she said in haste, “he was ordered not to request for the evidence that could have led to proving Peter Thomas’ innocence.”

“What evidence?”

“A videotape from the surveillance camera inside the Stuarts’ residence. He said that before the final trial, Jackson Howard was about to bring in the tape for evidence but he was killed before he could do that and the tape was gone. Peter Thomas of course knew about the tape and he told Carlson about it when he took over the case. But someone threatened Carlson and told him not to request for a copy of the said tape. It was never in any of the records of the hearing that such a tape existed. He said he doesn’t know who threatened him, but I don’t think he was telling the truth about that part.”

“Where’s the tape now? Is there a copy?”

“Not that we know of. Thomas won’t talk about the case anymore.”

“It’s a cover-up,” Lawson added, nodding.

Chief Carter sighed. “Goddammit,” was all he could say.

(4:00pm)

Her car broke down yesterday so she’s walking along the street that had once been her home to grab something for dinner.

She just stepped out of the diner when she realized she was being followed. She quickened her steps. The footsteps behind her were getting nearer.

She turned at an empty street leading to an alleyway full of the day’s trash. Whirling around sharply, she faced her stalker, her body ready for battle.

Her eyes widened in surprise. “Why are you following me?”

“I’m not following you,” he said, “I was trying to keep up with your pace.”

She looked behind him to see if he had company. “Why?”

“I wanna talk to you.”

“About what?”

“I know what you’ve been doing.”

“And what is that?” she asked, feigning curiosity and innocence. Her heart was racing now. This was not something she anticipated.

“You killed Halloway, didn’t you?” Straightforward and right to the point. He’s not here for little chitchats, she thought.

She snorted, “Really, Lightman, you’re too handsome for your crazy little head. Great joke,” she said, pushing her way through him to leave.

“I know who you are, too, Kyla.”

She continued walking out the alleyway, “Who’s Kyla?” she asked.

“Kyla Howard?” he said, jogging beside her, “She was my savior. The one I told you about at the party.”

She shook her head, “I’m Phoebe Knowles, so get lost, Lightman.”

“You told me to get help,” he grabbed her arm to stop her and face him. “You told me he was going to kill my mom and dad.”

She froze, finally realizing what he’s talking about. He knew then that he finally got to her.

“We were not able to save our parents. He killed them and got away and I know where to find him.”

(6:00pm)

He hesitated calling him, but their problem was getting bigger.

“What?” the voice snapped.

“We have a problem.”

“What?” the voice roared from the other end.

“I just learned that Leonard Carlson talked.”

“God dammit! I told you to take care of the man a long time ago!”

“I threatened him, he was too scared. He did what we told him to do.”

“Well, you didn’t threaten him enough. Get rid of him.”

“People might ask questions.”

“Then find a way around it!” then he heard the phone being slammed and the line went dead.

He thought for a long time before he finally made up his mind.