Chapter 3

December 1996 (2:00am)

“What are we doing here?” she looked out the window at the big house.

His stark dark eyes narrowed, “One last job to do, little girl,” he said in a hissing tone.

She almost flinched but she fought it. “What job?” she asked the obvious, her innocent mind reeling.

“You’ll see. Now, get out,” he said, taking the same deathly dagger she saw him use earlier. Her green eyes widened.

“No,” she said in a whisper.

“If you don’t do what I say, I’ll cut your little throat,” he threatened.

She fought the tears back. Crying would’t help her. With her shaking hand, she opened the door and climbed out. She thought of running. Away, far away. But she’s wise enough to know he’d get to her however fast she could run. She had to be wise.

“Go to the door and ring the bell,” he ordered, standing beside her, his big form shadowing her small one.

Without looking up at him, she did what he told…

March 22, 2011 (8:00pm)

“You know Senator John Stuart, right?” Jeffrey asked her.

“Of course,” she said, her green eyes laughing. She held the glass of margarita in her hand. “Great man.”

He nodded slowly, “Yes, I guess he is,” he said. “Fifteen years ago, I was a paralegal working with Judge Simons who by then handled the case of his wife. It was a big event, I’m telling you.”

She feigned innocence, “Why? What happened to his wife?” Of course she knew what happened to the Senator’s wife.

“She was murdered,” he waved off his hand and said, “Anyway, let’s not talk about that…”

“Come on, I wanna know. I’m already intrigued.”

He hesitated for just a moment, then grabbed to opportunity to brag, “Well, if you really wanna know, she was murdered by their then butler. Anyway, the case was closed and the man is behind bars now. That time, the Senator was on his way to the top and I guess us winning the case helped a lot for him to get justice and the sympathy of the people.”

“That’s amazing. I mean, I heard that his wife died, but I never thought she was murdered. And you were one of the people responsible to get the killer behind bars! That’s amazing,” she said with awe.

He shrugged, “Nah, it was nothing. But the case helped me get into the firm though,” he smiled.

She just nodded.

“So, why don’t we talk about you? Let’s not talk about what happened fifteen years ago. You must have been just a child back then, right?”

She gave him a flirty smile, “Yes, but I guess now I’m not.”

He chuckled as he placed his glass of brandy against his lips. “You want to go somewhere?” he finally asked. He never thought she’d call him soon for a drink and he’s taking his chances to the limit.

“Where to?”

“How about my place?”

“Sure,” she answered almost instantly and he smiled in triumph.

They walked out of the bar and walked along the lonely streets. They took a cab to his place.

“Nice place,” she said, looking around the dimly lit studio.

“Could use some woman’s touch though.”

She giggled, flashing her green eyes at him. She took off her jacket, exposing her white shirt hugging her curves. His eyes glinted with lust.

He went to the mini bar to pour two glasses of wine.

“Do you happen to have strawberries?” she asked huskily, taking the glass.

Jeff’s wrinkled eyes glinted naughtily, “Of course,” he placed his glass on the table, watched her lean against his couch seductively and said, “I’ll go get some for you,” he said with haste and walked to the kitchen.

Her smile vanished the moment he turned his back and disappeared into the kitchen. In one swift motion, she dropped the tablet into his glass and it sank to the bottom, the bubbles floated upward along the dark red liquid.

“Here,” he said, handing her the bowl of strawberries.

“Thank you, Jeff.” She took one strawberry and put it into her mouth, her emerald eyes looking at him tantalizingly.

He almost groaned with desire. Taking his glass, he sipped his wine as their gazes locked. He took another big gulp as his body started to heat up.

“You know why I like strawberries?” she asked him, standing up, walking closer.

“Why?” he could feel his mind clouding now and he frowned. He tried to shake it off.

She reached for the glass he held in his limp hand and placed it on the table, “Because I like blood,” she answered in a whisper against his ear.

“What?” he asked weakly, his vision blurring. What’s happening, he tried to question but he couldn’t find the words. He couldn’t move his hands. He couldn’t move at all.

“Remember 1996?” she whispered again.

Yes, of course he did.

“I guess you do, don’t you, Jeff?” His eyes would have gone wide when the blade glinted over him, but it’s too late. His body was too numb to even make a twitch. “Remember everything, Jeff,” was the last thing he heard before total darkness shrouded him.

After some time, she planted a kiss on his left cheek. She straightened up and looked around.

Time to clean up, she thought.