Chapter 3: Tuesday Tail

New York, White Collar Division. Tuesday morning. February 17, 2004.

"It's nearly noon. We'd better get started," Peter said as he stopped at Neal's desk.

Neal grinned as he stood and pulled on his coat. "I thought you'd at least pretend you weren't following me," he said as they walked toward the elevator.

"Like you were going to pretend you didn't know I was this week's Tuesday Tail?"

"It's all part of the game," Neal said as they stepped onto the elevator.

Peter pressed the button for the ground floor, and tapped his hand impatiently against his leg as the elevator stopped several times on the way down. When they finally reached the lobby he said, "That's one of the differences between you and me, Neal. This is work. It's our job. I take it seriously, and you call it a game."

"This is your lunch break, Peter. Tuesday Tails is like recess for grown-ups. It's about running around and being creative. Of course it's a game. Think of it like this: is tailing me part of your 2004 objectives? Do you have a goal that says you'll successfully track me at least fifty percent of the time?" They approached the exterior doors. Neal reached the door first and held it open.

Peter stepped outside, about to say that no, it wasn't in his goals, and if it were he'd be shooting for much higher than fifty percent. He looked back, aware of a stream of people pouring through the exit. Neal had lost himself among them. Peter had to smile and say, "He's good," before spotting his consultant in the crowd, heading east.

For the next ten minutes it was an evenly matched game of cat and mouse. The fact that Neal continued to head east made Peter think his consultant wasn't simply dodging him. Neal had a destination in mind. Shortly after 12:10 Peter lost sight of Neal, but turned east, expecting to find him again in the next block. As he was passing by an alleyway he heard Neal's voice. "Peter, over here."

Peter stepped into the alley and let his eyes adjust to the shadows. "Did you forget who's chasing who?"

"At the moment, I'm chasing Kate. She's in the café across the street, second booth from the window. See her?"

"Yeah. I think you'd better tell me what's going on."

"I got a message this morning that she wants to meet. I don't know why, but I doubt it's as simple as a reconciliation. She was avoiding me before I came to work for you, and she knows I'm with the Feds now. If she wants to talk to me anyway, she must be desperate."

"Oh, God. And that makes you desperate."

"Possibly. I don't think she'll recognize you. You should be able to go into the café, take the booth behind her, and listen in."

"And keep you from doing something you'll regret?"

"Yeah." Neal looked at Peter. "I mean, no. Just hear her out. See if we can make her a deal, like the one I have."

"Neal." Peter put a hand on Neal's shoulder to get his attention. He removed his hand when Neal was facing him. "I know you want her to get immunity, too. But you have to understand how rare that is. Remember, I was listening when you talked to her at the Sinclair house New Year's Eve. She wasn't interested in a deal like yours then, and it's unlikely that she changed her mind."

"But she could have. Or I could talk her into it now. I just need a little time to persuade her." Neal sounded desperate already, which did not bode well.

"Don't get your hopes up." Peter hated to mention it, but he needed to remind Neal. "I can give you time to try to persuade her, but you realize I should arrest her. She broke into the Sinclair home during our op there, cracked a safe and stole cash, jewelry and papers."