act one, chapter six • the temples

a/n: please comment and vote if you're enjoying!! don't be a silent reader, i see the views going up by a few and i see you guys adding this to your collections but i never see anybody commenting or voting at all, please show some support if you're enjoying enough to add to a folder :> it's very motivating if you do tysm tysm !!

-

"ver! veritas! veritas? oh, no, please... veritas!"

veritas sat up sharply, taking a deep and dramatic breath.

she was laid down by the fountain, soaking wet, amber crouched beside her and aether stood behind her, looking extremely concerned.

"ugh..." veritas grunted, rubbing water out of her eyes, "that's twice today i've been drenched. i'm not happy." she grumbled.

"veritas!" amber choked, wrapping her arms tightly around the girl, "oh, i thought you were..."

"psh. if i was gonna die, it wouldn't be by drowning," veritas scoffed. "that's so lame."

amber laughed tearily. "everything's fine now. i've been looking for you for ages, i shouldn't have ran..."

"yes, you should," veritas cut her off sternly. "you absolutely should have. everything's back to normal now?"

"yes. you have aether here to thank for that." she pointed at the blonde boy behind her, and he nodded politely.

"impressive." veritas grumbled dismissively. "and the knights? there weren't... any losses, were there?"

"uh... not that i know of," amber said hesitantly. "i, uh... actually, master jean is expecting us. quite a while ago, actually, but i insisted on finding you first."

veritas sighed. "i suppose that means there's no time to change?"

amber shook her head silently, holding her hand out. veritas groaned dramatically as she let herself get pulled onto her feet, dragging behind amber, aether and his white-haired friend.

-

"master jean! so sorry we're late," amber stumbled through the door, breathless, with her three companions close in tow.

"ah, there you are," kaeya said dryly. "i was just about to go out and look for you myself, you took your time."

"we- hah- we found the captain," amber panted, her hands on her knees, veritas stumbling to a chair to catch her breath.

"really, veritas, what is it with you being so wet around me lately?" lisa giggled, resting her head on her chin as she leaned over the banister separating the bookshelves from the main office.

"oh, cork it, lisa," veritas scoffed. "amber didn't give me time to change."

"this is the traveler, aether, and his companion, paimon. he's the one that took down dvalin," amber introduced, and aether saluted awkwardly while 'paimon' waved eagerly at the rest of the room.

"mondstadt welcomes you, windborne travelers," jean said gracefully. "i am jean, acting grand master of the knights of favonius. this is lisa, our resident librarian."

"oh!" lisa giggled, "are you sweeties here to help us out? oh, you're both so adorable!"

veritas curled her lip slightly, and kaeya nudged her in the ribs.

"jealous?" he teased under his breath.

veritas just scoffed again, and said nothing.

"sadly, the timing is regrettable..." lisa continued, "stormterror has caused quite a ruckus in the region since its recent resurface. simply put, mondstadt's elemental sphere and ley lines are now akin to a yarn ball in the paws of a kitten. for a mage, it couldn't get much worse. my skin is one elemental particle away from a full-blown breakout!"

jean sighed frustratedly. "if it weren't for this interference, the knights of favonius would have better ways to help you than just putting up missing person posters. we simply ask that you repose in mondstadt while we help you seek out your sister."

"guess we leave this up to you, then," aether shrugged lazily. "where's the inn?"

"hey! don't be such a slug! we should be a part of this too!" paimon argued, while kaeya and veritas both folded their arms disapprovingly. veritas was beginning to regret not letting this foolish blond get sucked up into the sky and never come back.

"good. in that case-"

"we need a plan." veritas cut kaeya off, pounding her fist into her palm determinedly. kaeya looked down at the girl slyly, but let it slide.

"with stormterror now directly attacking mondstadt, we may have an opportunity to cut this problem off at the source. lisa has revealed the sources of stormterror's power with her detection magic." jean addressed the room.

"is that so?" kaeya hummed.

"the four winds temples, no?" veritas raised an eyebrow, scratching her bottom lip thoughtfully.

"yes... yes, you're right." lisa said, a little dumbfounded. "well, i suppose we didn't need my vision after all, did we?" she chuckled, pulling herself back together. "turns out the captain knew all along!"

"stormterror's ability to whip up these kinds of storms can easily be attributed to it drawing power from the temples," veritas blinked slowly, a smile forming on her lips. "no vision, miss lisa. just a little brainpower."

"is that right?" lisa raised an eyebrow challengingly.

"our objective is to deal with three of the four temples," jean continued over the two women, "i trust everyone understands why we are only dealing with three."

"paimon doesn't," paimon raised a hand, and the four knights in the room, along with the librarian, all looked away shamefully.

aether whispered something to paimon, and jean spoke.

"knights of favonius, time is against us. the storm is rampant, there is no point in maintaining a defensive position... alright, we need to take initiative and act before the situation escalates."

the three other knights in the room nodded in agreement. lisa turned, sighing, and went back to her bookshelf.

"outrider amber, will you show aether to the temple of the falcon?"

veritas suppressed a satisfied smile. her temple was in good hands.

"captain kaeya, you'll take him to the temple of the wolf? and captain..." jean looked doubtfully on the venomous scowl on veritas' face, shaking her head subtly. "uhm, lisa?"

"ooh, captain lisa?" lisa chuckled. "i could get used to that."

"ahem," jean's eyes flicked nervously to veritas, before speaking, "my mistake, miss lisa. would you do the honours of introducing our friend to the temple of the lion?"

"hm... i'll have to think about it," lisa chuckled, placing a gloved hand delicately on her chin.

"i'll stay for the fatui." veritas said. "i spotted a pair of diplomats near the fountain yesterday, they're bound to have been caught up in this attack."