act one, chapter two • babysitting duty

"agh, my head." veritas groaned, rolling out of bed with a loud thump, rattling the light on her bedside table.

a piece of paper floated down after her and landed on her chest.

"kaeya told me to tell you 'told you so'. i'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, so i'm hoping you will. - venti." she read croakily through blurry vision. "p.s: i washed your green shawl in the fountain. it might still be wet when you read this. you threw up on it. several times."

veritas groaned dramatically, rolling over on her side and looking up at the midday sun streaming through the window.

"oh!" she jumped up, peeling off the nightclothes that had been put on her at some point and throwing on her daytime attire. the shawl was still very wet, as venti had warned her, but that was the least of her worries. "i'm going to be late!"

double-checking that her anemo 'vision' was still attached to her hip, she shot out the window, using the power of the winds to lift her to the plaza area around the anemo archon's statue, racing past the crowd of people and up to the performer.

"with heavy hearts they approached the heavenly gate, and- veritas, why are you here? you are dangerously late."

veritas dropped several gold coins into an empty wine glass in front of her friend, making a satisfying clink against the glass as they fell.

"i can't start the day without a visit to my good friend," veritas planted a quick kiss on venti's cheek, already beginning to leave, "uh... your verse is impressive, good wishes i send!"

"very good!" venti cheered as veritas took off, not before giving a sarcastic bow to the smiling onlookers.

-

"ah, veritas. ever the punctual." jean quipped, not looking up from the document she was scanning, a pile of extra papers on her desk beside her.

"i'm so sorry, master jean!" veritas panted, leaning on that doorframe to catch her breath. "but, hey... it's only, uh... three hours late, huh? i've been later than that before."

"are these really the standards you're setting for yourself, captain?" jean's eyebrow twitched amusedly.

"well, yeah- i mean, no, master jean! i have everything ready on that case about the hilichurls, i just need to-"

"no need."

veritas yelped in surprise and fear, having not formerly noticed the third figure in the room.

"kaeya...!" she forced a smile, remembering the hazy, blurred events of last night, and remembering that his face was in some of them.

"well, hello there, veritas." the blue haired man said, leaning lazily against a bookshelf to the left side of the room. "great timing. we were just discussing who would be on babysitting duty today. and seeing as you're here..."

"no!"

-

"uppies, uppies!" the small girl cried, reaching out grabby hands to the elder.

"there's no way you can't see him from here, klee." veritas frowned, trying to ignore the fact that the girl was stepping hard on her foot. "we're literally one row from the front. just look through people's legs."

"uppies," the girl repeated in an ominous tone.

"oh-kayy!" veritas surrendered, letting the girl climb onto her shoulders, much to the displeasure of the onlookers behind her. "augh- you're getting too old for this, you're nine now, klee. but no minor terrorism on my watch, i'm already in it enough with jean."