Warmth

I've changed ages around. Not drastically. You can go back to the info chapter if you'd like. Either way, enjoy! <3
--

I took a deep breath and smiled to myself, setting the uncooked dumplings to the side as I waited for the vegetables to cook more. But the food was also far from my mind. The food, Joshua, and Anthony didn't matter right now.

Kane knew.

༒ ༒ ༒

I heard the rumble of Josephine's truck enter the drive way. I was always jealous of her and her truck as I always wanted one. Trucks were so cool to me but my mother practically forbade me from getting one. I knew if Kane still lived with us he'd convince my mother into letting me have my truck. But if Kane still lived with us, he'd still be with my mother. There would be no chance of him being mine.

Uncrossing my legs that were partially covered by my thin sage green skirt, I sighed in nervousness and got up. Hopefully Josephine would be calm around Kane. She could be pretty straight forward, which was why we got along. Yet, we were straight forward in different ways.

I had opened the front door just as Josephine closed her truck door. She looked at me upon the swinging open of the door and laughed, flashing her white teeth she obsessed over. It was a weird obsession. The common rule is to visit the dentist every six months... she did it every three or four. And got a whitening constantly. It paid off for sure as her smile was beautiful. But damn...

"Is Billie that loud," she smiled, walking towards me with quick ease. Josephine also loved Michael Jackson. Maybe almost as much as she loved her teeth.

"Isn't she always," I mumbled. I kept up my act of hating her truck as a joke but everyone knew I loved her truck. I loved when she picked me up to take it for a drive, I loved when she let me drive it. Hell, I loved to look at.

Josephine wiggled her eyebrows and her shoulders before slinging her arm around my waist and practically dragging me into my own home.

"You look hot by the way," she said rather loudly, playing with the edge of my button up white crop top. "God, I wish I had your body," she finished. Kane looked up from the table as he was hunched over his work eating a sandwich I made for him. It was quite a cute scene, his glasses hanging off the edge of his nose.

I mumbled a 'thanks' before closing the door behind us.

"Do we need to go by moms and grab my radio," I asked her. She smiled at me as if she were scared before speaking. "I kinda still have a key so I went and grabbed it myself since it was on the way over," she said shyly. I shrugged and put on my flip flops. Josephine was family, I didn't give a shit if she went there.

"Anyways, where's my baby," she was referencing Josh. He had left hours ago to play basketball this morning and hadn't been back since.

Josh left Josephine's interest as soon as Kane came into view, his eyes still on us. Or my legs rather. She pinched the skin that my shirt didn't hide and left me standing in the doorway.

"Josie!" She ignored me.

"Hi, Mr. Jackson," she sang. Sure, she was 18 now but it didn't change the fact that he wasn't into her. And she knew that, but I guess it was fun for her to still play on her childhood crush. It would become a problem soon though.

Kane stood up to greet her like the respectable man he is, pulling her in for a side hug, his eyes still on me the entire time until Josephine looked up at him.

"I haven't seen you in ages," he smiled down at her, taking his glasses off and rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"Since I was a little, huh?" Oh my god, I could throw the fuck up. He nodded and a chuckle arose from his chest and patted her shoulder.