14: Shackles and Chains

Beth had her hair pulled back in a tight bun as she spoke to the small group of students in front of her, she was entrusted to teach history, engineering, and mathematics to the students

Beth had her hair pulled back in a tight bun as she spoke to the small group of students in front of her, she was entrusted to teach history, engineering, and mathematics to the students. It was weird thinking that the school had been opened for a while now. Moira was still having issues with the CIA, especially when it came to the location of the Xavier mansion which was kept a secret for the safety of the mutants who lived inside of it.

Once class was dismissed the hoard of children bustled out into the halls, followed by Beth. She looked outside the window and saw Charles speaking with Moira. It was weird thinking that she was kissing and was with Charles but neither had particularly spoken about what they were to one another. They just clicked together like a puzzle piece.

"Miss McCoy." A young boy reached out to her, he was barely eight years old, "Is Professor Xavier and that lady together?"

Beth had felt a clenching in her chest, a lot of the children had asked her that, especially when Moira would come to visit, "No, Tyler, they are not together."

"So, how many students do you have now?" Moira asks while looking up at the large mansion, Alex outside with some of his students. Charles was proud of how far Sean and Alex came, especially to deal with students.

"Uh..." Charles pursed his lips, "Beth is usually the one who keeps track of those numbers, but I can give you a rough estimate."

Moira stopped wheeling him forward, she slowly walked around to face him, "You know, I'm working really hard. Soon the government is going to realize how lucky they were to have Professor X on their side."

"Oh, I suppose I am a real Professor now, aren't I?" Charles spoke teasingly, he quite enjoyed his talks with Moira, there was some sort of normality when she was around, "Next thing you know I will be going bad." Moira's laughter made him smile, "You know we are still on the government's side, right? We're still G-men, but without the G."

"No, you're your own team now. It's better, you're..." Moira breathed in with a small smile, "X-men."

"Yes." Charles chuckled, "I like the sound of that." He leaned forward in his seat, "Moira, for us, anonymity is our first line of defense."

Moira crouched down now, so her face was in front of his, "I know, they can threaten me all they want, Charles. I'll never tell them where you are. Ever."

"I know you won't."

"I thought you said they weren't together?"

Beth gave Tyler a confused expression and looked back out the window, a frown quickly replaced her confusion. She had absolutely no idea what was going on down there, only this feeling of intense jealousy in the pit of her stomach. She knew that Charles would never dare to cheat on her or play around with her feelings, but it hurt to see his lips on someone else's. This was a feeling that Beth had not felt in a long time. Her hands ruffle Tyler's hair, "Why don't you go find some of your friends, they must want to play?"