Chapter Thirteen: Rank

Nasa harap lang ng training hall ang bathroom. Walang masyadong tao dahil busy ang lahat sa panonood o nasa kani-kanilang house na. I stayed in front of the mirror for a few minutes, fixing my hair and washing my face. Inayos ko ang white thigh socks na suot at medyo niluwagan ang necktie dahil nasasakal ako.

If Andreas was counting the time, I'd let him believe I use bathroom breaks for an hour. Purely because of my kaartehan.

The lights inside the bathroom flickered, making me flinch. Ilang segundong nagpatay-sindi ang ilaw bago tuluyang dumilim ang paligid. The darkness, the familiar coldness it brought, creeped from my toes to my mind, bringing a terrifying headache. The whispers of nothingness courted my ears, singing a mellow tune of pure terror.

Napaupo ako sa sahig na hawak-hawak ang ulo. I could hear the faucet opening and closing, the toilets flushing as if someone was using them, and the door outside being forced open. Dapat mas naririnig ko ang sigaw ng pangalan sa labas, pero mas maingay ang mga bulong sa tainga ko.

"Raia, my child... Have you finally come to me?"

"Raia, we have waited... We have waited for you..."

"You are the void, as much as it is you. You are ours, and finally, you will reig-"

Everything halted when the door bursted open and the lights came back on. Hingal-hingal akong nakatingin sa may sink. I have no idea just what happened. The darkness have always comforted me, the cold air it brings was natural in my skin, but a while ago, it feels suffocating.

"What the fuck are you doing on the floor?"

I heard Beatrix' annoying voice before the bathroom was closed again. Tinapunan niya ako ng masamang tingin bago pinagmasdan ang sarili sa salamin.

What was that? Panaginip? Did I just daydream or am I slowly losing my mind?

"That bestfriend of yours is a pain in the ass."

Bestfriend?

I took a deep breath, standing up to fix myself. Beatrix shot me a strange glance, eyes scanning my body suspiciously. Hinayaan ko siya dahil may nakita na akong pangkontra.

Forgetting the earlier experience, I let a smirk play on my lips. "What? You lost against the person you're calling weak?"

Irritation flashed in her eyes. "Tsamba lang 'yon. I didn't get to eat anything so I wasn't in my best."

"Sure, kumbinsihin mo lang sarili mo." I flipped some of my hair back, letting a few rest in my left shoulder. "Napaka-iyakin mo pa naman."

"Don't go all tough on me, Raven. I wasn't the one in the floor with a terrified expression a while ago." she laughed.

"Terrified but can still stand strong. What about you? Losing a battle and taking it bitterly in here. Should I stay here and give you some tissues when you cry inside the cubicle?"

Nagpalitan kami ng masasamang tingin, with her own glare positively loathing. The staredown broke apart when the door opened again, revealing a concerned Dustine whose eyes sharpened when it landed on me.

"Raven." bati niya. "I didn't know you were here."

"Now you do." nakangiti kong sagot. "But, don't mind me. I was just leaving."

"I hope you're not bringing trouble again." she muttered before I could pass her.

"Oh, don't worry, Dustine. I don't bring trouble, unless it starts itself," sinulyapan ko si Beatrix na nakatitig lang sa kaniyang repleksiyon. "And if you don't want your bestfriend to cry, then I don't want to hear insulting comments about mine."