iv. silent voices always shine the brightest

"who's aunt rosa?" hazel asked as they walked side by side down the table salt beaches, absorbed in their own thoughts and fears until hazel spoke up.

"long story," leo said after a short pause. "she abandoned me after my mom, gave me to foster care."

"i'm sorry," arcana said.

"yeah, well.." leo trailed off, and arcana could tell he was eager to change the subject. "what about you? what did nemesis say.. a bully? what's that about?"

"nothing," arcana said, gaining a worried look from hazel. "just some kid from the legion who used to torment me. he died on some quest. thought i was over it, guess not."

hazel looked like she was going to ask more questions, but leo must've felt how uncomfortable arcana felt talking about it. "what about you, hazel? what nemesis said about your brother?"

"nico.." hazel started, though tears started to form in her eyes like even the thought of nico made her sob. "he found me in the underworld. he brought me back to the mortal world and convinced the romans at camp jupiter to accept me. i owe him a second chance at life. if nemesis is right, and nico's in danger.. i have to help him."

"sure," leo said, though arcana could tell how uneasy the idea made him, and she raised an eyebrow. "and what nemesis said about your brother having six days to live, and rome getting destroyed.. any idea what that meant?"

"none," hazel admitted. "but i'm afraid.."

arcana put a comforting hand on her shoulder, knowing that hazel wasn't really comfortable sharing anymore. hazel nodded her thanks, and arcana gave her a small smile. hazel climbed one of the largest boulders to get a better view. arcana and leo followed her, but leo lost his balance. arcana caught his hand, pulling him up and onto the rock.

"thanks," he said.

"when we were talking to nemesis," hazel said uneasily, "your hands.. i saw flames."

"yeah," leo said. "it's a hephaestus power. usually i can keep it under control."

"oh." she put a hand protectively on her denim shirt, arcana suspected that was where she hid frank's piece of wood, the one that was tied to his life. she remembered to be a bit more careful with her magic fire, even if she thought the purple glow it casted on her face was badass in any way possible.

arcana gazed across the island. the opposite shore was only a few hundred yards away. between here and there were dunes and clumps of boulders, but nothing that looked like a reflecting pool. she turned to see leo was doing the same, but there was a sad look in his eyes, one that she was familiar with. percy. gale. hazel. frank. they'd all had that sad look in their eyes. she was sure she'd had that look in her eyes too during the last week or two.