6 MEANWHILE . . .

6   MEANWHILE  . . .

     I was glad that the meeting went so well, then Jake and Marcy accompanied me to my house afterward. I told them both about seeing Nicole and Sathra together in the restroom. Jake has more faith than I do that Sathra is true to the games afoot. He didn’t say why, but I definitely got the impression Sathra has an old score to settle with Nicole that he is aware exists. Marcy was full of nervousness about it though, claiming she believes Sathra is out to sabotage the party, because she heard her tell Nicole as much. I guess we will have to wait and see, time tells all.

     Jake only stayed for half an hour before heading home to do his chores. He didn’t want to be found at my house against orders and anger his father even more over the situation. Marcy couldn’t wait to tell me her made up secret once he was out of earshot. “I partnered up with Hope and my scandal is ’I was adopted and found my real parents, but they are in both in prison for smuggling drugs.” I must say I was impressed with Marcy’s imagination, but would that be believed? I didn’t tell her my doubts, but it got me wondering what it could actually be that Nicole is holding over her head. I could hardly fathom Marcy could have some deep dark secret, she is too naïve and innocent.

     Marcy scooted out the door to go home shortly before my Mother returned from her job at the dentist’s office. By the look on Mom’s face, it was not a good day for her. I offered to make supper so she could rest and she jumped at the chance to lie down and take a nap. I began in on the preparations for spaghetti trying to dodge my wandering mind from landing on that stall door and the consequent visions, Marcy’s shady history or even Mom’s dour mood. However, I was not succeeding. When Dad came whistling through the door raving on the aroma of dinner permeating the house, I rushed to meet him. Dad in a great mood is such a high for me, I couldn’t resist asking what had him so chipper. “I met a man today that is a true inspiration, good clear down to the soles of his feet and I sold him the truck of his dreams, literally. He told me he had a dream when he was a teenager of driving a car with a red dashboard and although he could not see the face of the woman in the passenger seat, he just knew he was inlove with her. The man told me he had been married twice already and neither had been the one. He had been searching for that dashboard for years and although all of his vehicles have had a red dash, none ever were a perfect match until the truck he bought today, he claims. You should have seen this guy, I would guesstimate him to be around 45 to 50 years old, but the twinkle in his eye sitting behind the wheel told me he is still a teenager at heart. I sure hope the magic works for him.” My dad, you gotta love him, he sees the good in everything and truly wants the best for everyone. He is an ole softy when it comes to a love story too. I told Dad that Mom was lying down resting and he aimed himself to find her and I set the table for supper.

     Mom and Dad emerged from their room about ten minutes later ready for supper. Mom seemed to have lost her glum and dour mood from earlier and as soon as we were seated Dad began asking me what I would like to do for my birthday coming up this Friday. Typically, my birthday was spent with my parents. We would go out to eat at a restaurant of my choosing and see a movie of my choosing too. Then we would come home to cake and icecream. However, this year would be different. I told them that I had planned a party with my classmates. Mom seemed a tad disappointed initially, then went into full tirade. She claimed that I simply couldn’t have the party, but she was at near hysteria over it. My dad was truly trying to calm her, explaining that having a party with peers is what any teenager would want. However, Mom flashed Dad a scowl of pure fury that conveyed her dire need for his cooperation in her denying me this party. Horray for Dad, he he stood his ground and continued to state his case in my favor. I interjected telling them it would be at Jake’s farm so I wouldn’t be far from home and all the invitations have already been given and accepted, to cancel now would be a huge let down to almost the entire sophomore class. Mom threw up her hands and left the table on the verge of tears. She muttered as she headed toward her room for solitude. “I tired to talk sense into you both, but remember I told you this was not a good idea.” Dad stayed at the table with me, assuring me he would talk to her later once she has calmed down.