4 BEST NOT TO KNOW

4   BEST NOT TO KNOW

     She must not have ever considered I would find the courage to confront her. “What the hell are you doing spying on me? You scared the hell out of me. Now that I know it is you it makes even less sense. At least when I thought it was Marcy, I could chalk it up to jealousy. You have no right to be creeping around in the shadows. What is your motive?”

     She threw her head back and straightened her shoulders, as if to assume an air of superiority. Oh how I wanted to knock her to the ground. “I was just curious about you. You are new here and we got off on the wrong foot. I figured I could find out what you are like, then we could be friends. I see you made fast work with Jake. Don’t think you are too special, he always clings to the new girls for a while. When I heard what happened with you and the kids in your French class, I knew you weren’t just some boring goody two shoes. I admit it scared me at first, but then I figured it would be even more to my advantage to have you as a friend.” She had that smug smirk that made me want to slap it away. I didn’t respond, because I was trying to contain my rage. To fill the silence that obviously made her uneasy, she continued with her explanation. “I don’t have anything to hide, I am an open book. Being this beautiful has its advantages, but it also has it downfalls. I can not do anything without an audience. I think that is why I so enjoyed being in the shadows as the one doing the watching. It is something I never get to do. I cant believe that Jake took Jeremy along on your date, how strange. That kid is such a loser. Why did he drop you off and rush away like that, did you have a fight?” The feigned innocence in her eyes and voice trying to lure me into her web was sickening.

     Shock spread across my face at the realization that she must have been here in waiting the whole time we were gone. “You haven’t heard that Rachel was found in an old abandoned mine shaft with that guy? They are trapped in there. The fire fighters and National Guard have been summoned to rescue them. Jake and Jeremy went there too.” The look of utter horror on her face told me she hadn’t known and maybe she also knew the mystery around the mine that had Jake and Jeremy so shaken.

     For a second, she looked as if the earth had caved in on her. She sucked in her breath, like inhaling rotten, stale air mixed with sulfur. “I have to go.” Her voice filled with fear. Practically running me over, she went speeding down the drive. Over her shoulder she yelled back to me. “I will come back tomorrow.” She said it like I should feel blessed to have her promised visit.

     I entered the house to find Mom, Dad and Michelle pacing in anticipation for our arrival back safe at home. When I came in alone Michelle was beside herself with worry, then more so when I told her that Jake and Jeremy had gone to the mine. Somehow, they had heard that we had found Rachel and her lover trapped there. Mom was hovering over me and making no pains to hide that she was searching for clues, no doubt as to whether or not I had ’it’. Dad is the one who offered up the information that the police had come to the house to speak to me. While they were here they gave the news of Jake, Jeremy and I finding Rachel trapped. Also that the officer would return tomorrow to speak to me. I will have a full schedule tomorrow with all the promised visitors. However, it had been a long day and I excused myself to go to bed, to rest up for another tomorrow.

     Shortly after I had gone to my room, there was a knock at my door. It was Michelle. She asked if she could come in to speak to me. Once inside and the door closed, she drilled her eyes into me. “I know you are the one behind all of this. My son doesn’t know what is good for him, but I will not stand back and watch as you lure him into some kind of cult.” I stifled a laugh, but quickly realized Michelle was no one to take lightly. “I don’t know what kind of voodoo you and your parents are conjuring, but I wont allow you to brainwash Jeremy into being a part of it. You put Rachel in that mine with your lies and accusations. This is a small town you cant hide here, everyone knows the evil you are spreading. Taking good kids and ruining their lives is not going to fly here. We take care of our own. You better watch your step and keep your mouth shut if you know what is good for you. That little prank you pulled in school wont go unpunished. Now that this has happened with Rachel, more eyes will be opened. Just remember, I warned you.” She stepped back without taking her eyes off of me. We heard the guys coming in the house downstairs, then she was out the door and gone.