Chapter 3

For the second time, Arthur wakes up groggily, but this time warm and snug. He shifts onto his side, feeling the familiar comfort of his bed. He heaves a contented sigh, and is about to return to being asleep when a voice wakes him up properly.

"Arthur," comes a relieved voice. "You're awake."

A pain sears through his head at the noise. Arthur opens his eyes to see his father sitting over him, worry all over his face.

"How do you feel?" Uther asks, softly.

"Good," Arthur says, attempting to sit up, but faltering as the aches on his body grow more painful. He grunts a little, then pushes through the pain.

"What happened?" Uther asks.

"Erm..." Arthur frowns, as he tries to remember what happened--

Oh.

Merlin.

Magic.

What's he supposed to say?

"It's all a bit... hazy," Arthur says, lamely, but it seems to work.

Uther nods, clearly a little irritated.

"How... How did I get here?"

"Your servant carried you."

"Oh."

Merlin had brought him inside, to his bed, to safety. Merlin had healed him, leaving only aches and pains, along with a few cuts. And with what seemed to be a hangover. But, Merlin had saved Camelot.

And, Merlin had magic.

What could he do? Did he have to tell Uther? He didn't want to. But he didn't want to lie to his father. But he would kill Merlin, even if he had saved Camelot and Arthur countless times.

And here was the dilemma Merlin knew he'd be faced with. The choice. And Arthur wasn't sure what to do.

He'd meant what he said last night, but he hadn't been thinking straight, or about the consequenses and what he'd have to do. What could he do?

***

"Merlin," comes an irritating whisper, taking Merlin from his peaceful slumber.

"Stop," he groans. "Tired."

"Merlin, what happened last night?"

"Go away," Merlin moans. "Tired."

A "Merlin!" accompanied by a violent shake finally made Merlin jump up, eyes wide open and very, very annoyed.

"Gaius--" He trails off, the annoyance fading within seconds. "Oh," he whispers, brokenly. "Gaius, are you alright? I'm so sorry, I--"

"It wasn't you," Gaius assures him.

"But are you okay?"

"Don't blame yourself, Merlin. I know you will, but you can't."

"I let him in!" Merlin yells in a sudden outburst. "I let him take control. I let him use my magic, and I--"

"But you stopped him, Merlin," Gaius points out. "You got rid of his soul for good."

"I-- I did?"

"It would seem that way."

"I... did?" Merlin repeats, still unable to process.

"You saved Arthur--"

"After I almost killed him," Merlin spits, bitterly.

"That wasn't you," Gaius repeats, softly.

"And I hurt you."

"I'll be fine."