Chapter 20

He sighs. He doesn't know what's happened. He doesn't know if Uther knows. Oh, if Uther knows...

Morgana and Gwen won't say much, and they don't seem to actually know. They also refuse to leave each other's side, practically clinging onto each other. No one else has woken yet.

When Gaius entered the room, it was chaos. Arthur's shirt was ripped open and smoking, but his chest was fine, and he looked good enough, and he was breathing. Merlin had collapsed on the prince's chest, and looked absolutely exhausted. Another stranger was unconscious, lying on Morgana. Uther was out, too, lying far from everyone else at the back of the room. Gwen and Morgana were hanging onto each other, Gwen sobbing, and Morgana with a blank face, but both looking slightly relieved.

When Gaius asked what had happened, they didn't give him much.

"He was in Arthur..." Morgana had said, quietly, not tearing her eyes from Arthur's body. "But then he was in Uther. And then... he was gone. And Merlin..."

Merlin had almost brought down Camelot, for the second time today.

The knights who weren't already there hurried in not long after, all of them confused, but staying composed. They took the king to his chambers. They took Arthur to his chambers. They helped Gaius get Merlin back to his room. As for the girl... They were going to put her in the cells, but Gaius convinced them to let him treat her. She came with Merlin.

He had ruled the girl's state as exhaustion of magic, and a few minor injuries. Assuming what happened with Merlin was simple exhaustion of magic as well, seeing as there were few other injuries, none of them serious, Gaius had gone to treat the king and prince, and also talk to Morgana and Gwen.

Both had taken a blow to the head, but thankfully nothing too serious or permanent. Neither were too injured. And Arthur... He was strange. There had been something, but it seemed to be gone now.

He had then looked at Morgana and Gwen, and spoke to them. Still, not much more information than before. And they both looked fine.

He didn't know what to do then, with everyone unconscious. So, he sat in his chambers. He told Morgana and Gwen that if either the king or the prince awoke, that they should come and get him.

They haven't yet.

***

"Ugh," he moans. Gods, his head hurts. And his chest. And everything. It's a familiar feeling... like a...

Ah. That's it.

"Merlin," he mutters, somewhat fondly, massaging his forehead with his fingers.

"You're awake!" a voice says, a little too loud for his liking. It makes the pain in Arthur's head worse.

"Shhh. Quiet, please," he grunts, as he attempts to sit up. This time, he manages it.

"Are you alright?" Morgana asks. Her eyes are sullen, her expression filled with worry.

"I'm fine, Morgana."

There's a pause.

"You almost died," she says, in a teary voice.

"Did I?" he says, honestly not that surprised.

Another pause.

"How can you be so nonchalant about it?"

"It happens a lot, in case you hadn't noticed," he mutters in a fed up tone. "But I always seem to survive. Mostly because of Merlin, it would seem." Then, after a split second, he frantically asks, "Merlin. Is he okay?" He gets out of bed and puts his hand on either side of the head of the chair Morgana's sitting on, partly because he's panicking, and partly because he feels like he's going to fall over. "Is he okay?"